This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is prepared using fresh tomatoes. It is a healthy, creamy and comforting soup perfect for light lunch/dinner with some bread toasts, appetizers or sides.
The best part of this creamy luxurious soup is that it is free from cream, butter or added sugar. Which means you can eat your soup guilt free without thinking much about bad calories. Moreover, it is prepared using fresh red tomatoes which make it taste so good with natural flavors that you’d definitely want more than a bowl!
I know it is still summer and thinking about soup gives me a feeling of fall and winter knocking my door. But some soups are meant to be made in summer to enjoy flavors from fresh produce. For example, fresh corn chowder and of course this healthy roasted tomato soup that I am talking about. Don’t you think?
How To Make Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
This is the easiest soup I have ever made. It involves little to none preparation time. Cut fresh red tomatoes into halves and place them on a baking sheet. Also, throw in an onion and a garlic bulb along with the tomatoes. Sprinkle some fresh thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Bake tomatoes in a preheated oven to perfection.
Transfer roasted tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a blender jar. Add some raw cashews, cayenne pepper, milk and vegetable broth and blend to a smooth consistency. Your tomato soup is almost ready. Transfer this blended soup to a medium pan and bring it to a boil. Adjust seasoning according to your taste, if necessary. Detailed instructions are given below.
- For delicious and tempting homemade tomato soup choose rich colored and firm fresh tomatoes. I use tomato on the vine variety for making this soup.
- To give this soup a more creamy texture you can also add one small cooked potato while blending the soup. However, this involves an additional step of cooking potatoes and therefore, most of the time I don’t add because I’m very lazy.
- Another key to this creamy soup is the blending process. Make sure your blender will do this job perfectly. My Blendtec Blender has soup mode on it and it does its job exceeding expectations.
- Do not use Aluminium pots (especially non-coated) to make this soup as tomatoes are naturally acidic in nature and can react with the metal while cooking.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup – Health Benefits
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which is an excellent antioxidant that gives a rich color to it. The darker the tomatoes the more lycopene it has (1). Also, it is a low-calorie vegetable with fewer carbohydrates.
To give this soup a creamy texture, cashew nuts and low-fat milk are the key ingredients I used. Cashews nuts are a good source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Also, it is naturally rich in dietary minerals and a source of good protein (3).
Healthy Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- 6 large tomatoes on the vine
- 1 medium onion cut into quarter
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (or almond milk if vegan)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (use more or less)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or oil spray)
Preheat the oven to 400 F
Cut tomatoes into halves and onion into quarters and place them on a baking sheet facing cut side up.
Then cut the garlic bulb 1/2" from the top to expose individual cloves. Add it to the baking sheet.
Sprinkle thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
Then drizzle or spray some olive oil.
Bake everything in the preheated oven for about 30-40 min or until the edges of onion, garlic and tomatoes start to caramelize.
Add roasted tomatoes, onion and a few roasted garlic cloves to the blender jar. Then add some cashew nuts, milk, cayenne pepper, vegetable broth and blend to a smooth consistency.
Transfer the soup to a medium pot and bring it to boil. Adjust seasonings and cook till it gets to the desired consistency or serve immediately with some bread croutons.
This page may include affiliate links which help us to deliver free recipes and maintain this blog.