Italian flavored Veggie Sandwich! An easy, quick and healthy breakfast recipe to start any mornings. Full of fresh vegetables that are flavored with Dorot garlic and basil, and then sandwiched between whole grain bread.
We both are a fan of Italian dishes. No wonder I keep trying to incorporate Italian spices and flavors into different dishes we prepare. When it comes to breakfast dishes, I try to make them quick while easy-to-follow that involve less prep time.
This past week we got an opportunity to partner with Dorot Frozen Herbs. Have you ever tried them? Next time put them in your grocery list with this coupon. I found them very convenient especially when I don’t have much time for cutting and prepping. Their frozen herbs packed in little cubes are very handy. We found them at a Trader Joe’s frozen section.
As a Food Engineer, I can tell you that freezing foods is the best way to preserve their original flavors and nutrients when compared to drying or any other method. Moreover, frozen foods do not need any chemical preservatives to make them last longer. Sub-zero temperatures are sufficient to increase their shelf life. This is because several chemical reactions that deteriorate food quality at normal temperatures, do not occur at freezing temperatures. Which is why I am loving Dorot frozen herbs.
How to make vegetable sandwich?
I always get excited when I sit down to write recipe posts for you guys and get distracted from the actual recipe. Now let’s get back to our recipe. For making this vegetable sandwich I used fresh green and red peppers, mushroom, and onions. I sautéed them with garlic and basil cubes from Dorot until nice and tender. You can use fresh garlic and basil instead if you want to. Once cooked, put them on a toasted whole grain bread of your choice. Add fresh tomato slices, some mozzarella cheese, and sliced olives. It hardly takes 15 mins. to prepare. You can use frozen mixed peppers to further reduce your prep time.
How this Veggie Sandwich Recipe is healthy
This vegetable sandwich is prepared using all clean and healthy ingredients.
- Bell peppers are a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants .
- This sandwich is prepared using organic oatmeal bread.
- It does not contain added saturated fat from butter. Instead, olive oil is used as it is a healthy fat.
- It contains mozzarella cheese in small amounts. Cheese is a good source of calcium and protein.
- The vegetables in this sandwich are flavored with garlic and basil. Various studies indicate that garlic is good for health 
This veggie sandwich is prepared using fresh red and green pepper, mushroom, onions and oatmeal bread. It is healthy, easy and quick recipe for breakfast or lunch.
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1 onion sliced (and divided)
- 1 tomato seeded and sliced
- 8 slices oatmeal bread toasted (or your choice of bread)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced (I used 2 cubes of Dorot garlic)
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped basil (I used 3 cubes of Dorot basil)
- 1/2 tsp mixed Italian spice
- 1 tsp cooking olive oil
- 3-4 olives sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella grated cheese
In a nonstick or cast iron pan heat oil over medium heat.
Add sliced mushroom, garlic and saute for about 3 min
Then add peppers, half of the sliced onions and saute for another 3 min. Add basil and mix well
Spread cooked vegetables on toasted bread (half of the total). Then add tomato slices, onion, and olives.
Finally, top with grated mozzarella cheese and cover with remaining bread slices.
- Assemble this veggie sandwich just before serving as it may become soggy.
Grab this COUPON and try Dorot herbs yourself. I would love to hear your experience.
Thanks Dorot for sponsoring today’s post and thanks to YOU, readers for supporting brands that help to maintain and keep WWUE up and running.