Two ingredients, simplest, quickest and the best mimosa recipe to make an amazing brunch drink! It’s a healthy, non-alcoholic drink. And, it does not contain added sugar.
This best mimosa recipe is our newly found favorite drink. I have made it a ton of times since I first attempted it. And why do I keep calling it the best mimosa? To know the answer you have to make it yourself. I am sure you will agree with me on this one.
They say mimosa is a brunch drink (1). However, it is so tempting that I can enjoy it anytime. Especially, in hot summer days this chilled glass of mimosa is a real comforter. You will need only two ingredients—fresh orange juice and sparkling apple cider for this non alcoholic drink.
You can also use store brought orange juice however, the fresh one tastes much better as it is not processed and free from tons of preservatives. This topic of orange juice is very close to my heart. Why? Because before starting my PhD, I used to work for a food company where I was in charge of setting up a citrus juice plant. After working so hard on this one the lesson learnt is “squeeze your orange yourself”.
Let me tell you some technical part (it’s not boring, I promise!). Citrus fruits are rich in limonoate A-ring lactone (LARL)–don’t worry you don’t have to remember this to enjoy oranges. When you cut or juice citrus fruit, this LARL get converted into limonin which is a ‘bittering’ substance. This limonin makes your juice taste bitter. In food industries they pass the citrus juice through some polymers that absorb the bitter substance from the juice. After this de-bittering process, they heat the juice at very high temperatures in order to kill the bacteria and sterilize to increase their shelf-life, but at the cost of destroying all those vital nutrients. Even at home if you store freshly squeezed orange juice for several hours it will taste bitter. So, better cut your fruits and consume them soon enough.
So lesson learnt. Recently I invested in an electric citrus juicer that has made my life much easier. It is not that expensive and very convenient than the manual one.
Health benefits of this best mimosa recipe
This best mimosa recipe is healthy because
- it is non alcoholic
- it does not contain added sugar
- it contains fresh orange juice. Oranges are very good source Vitamin C. They also contain diverse phytochemicals for example, flavonoids, carotenoids etc.
- it contains apple cider. Apple cider is also a good source of Vitamin C and potassium
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (chilled)
- 1/2 cup sparkling apple cider (chilled)
Slightly tilt Champagne flute and slowly pour chilled sparkling apple cider. Wait for few seconds for the bubbles to disappear on the top.
Then slowly pour chilled fresh orange juice.
- Usually, I refrigerate oranges and squeeze them just before making mimosa. It gives a very fresh taste.
- If you want to make an alcoholic version, then substitute apple cider with Champagne or sparkling wine
- I used this type of Champagne glasses or flute to serve this mimosa
- I used this natural, preservatives free sparkling apple cider in this recipe
- I use this type of electric citrus juicer every time to make make fresh orange juice
Disclaimer: This page includes affiliate links which help make this blog possible. Thank you for your support.
If you like this recipe in any way, spread the love by sharing with your friends and family.
Your valuable feedbacks and comments will make our day and encourage us to share more great healthy recipes with you. Thank you for stopping by!