Quick Easy And Healthy Coconut Shrimp Curry
Quick and easy Coconut Shrimp Curry is perfect for busy weeknights. You can make it in under 30 minutes using creamy coconut milk, tomato, and onion based gravy.
Servings: 4 -5
- 20 large jumbo shrimps peeled and deveined
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 medium tomato cut into quarters
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 jalapeno seeded
- 1/2 " ginger peeled
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
In a food processor add tomato, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Pulse them until pureed.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and cook until it turns golden brown.
Add the tomato-garlic puree, tomato paste and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until most of the water evaporates.
Now add coconut milk, garam masala, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add remaining water if necessary.
Add cleaned shrimps and cook for 2-3 min on each side or until well done.
At the end sprinkle some chopped cilantro and serve warm.
Smart Points -- 8
- You can skip the jalapeno if you don't the prefer hot and spicy taste
- Use low-fat coconut milk for cutting down some fat content
- If you find the curry thin and runny let it cook for a few more minutes on medium to high heat until it gets to your desired consistency.
- To get the desired red color as shown in the images use 1 tbsp (or more) of tomato paste in addition to the fresh tomato-garlic mixture.
- If you have time cook onion and tomato with spices for a little longer on low heat before adding the coconut milk. It really develops a rich flavor.