This super simple homemade healthy flatbread loaded with fresh herbs, garlic, whole wheat and fresh mozzarella will tempt you to make it again and again.
- 1 large zucchini thinly sliced or cut into ribbons (see notes)
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 to tomato seeded and thinly sliced (see notes)
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary or more
- 1 tbsp olive oil or more
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
Mix the sliced zucchini (or ribbons) with some salt and spread them on a paper towel in a single layer. Let it rest for 10-15 mins. Meanwhile, prepare the dough and other ingredients.
Combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Gradually add warm water and let the machine run on setting no. 2 (mine is a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer). Knead the dough for about 3-4 mins to form a soft dough.
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Brush or spray some oil on the two 10x15" baking trays. Divide the dough into two equal parts and spread it evenly on the trays to form the base.
Evenly place zucchini slices or ribbons in a single layer over the dough.
Build up more toppings such as scallions, serrano pepper (optional), rosemary, tomato, and chopped garlic.
Bake the flatbread in a preheated oven for 15 mins.
Finally, add some fresh mozzarella cheese and continue baking for another 3 min or until cheese melts and is bubbly.
- Hand mixing the dough - In a large mixing bowl combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add warm water gradually and mix the flour with water using a wooden spatula. Transfer the mixture to a flat surface and knead it to form a soft dough. Keep using little oil at a time to avoid sticking the dough to the surface and hands.
- There is no need to proof the dough. It is ready to use as soon as the kneading is done.
- Want to use pizza dough?? -- Then use around 1.75 lb ready-to-use pizza dough instead of making the flatbread dough above.
- This recipe can make two 10x15" or one 12x17" size flatbreads. You can use either size trays to prepare the flatbreads. Do not forget to apply a little oil on the trays before shaping the dough in it. Otherwise, the crust may stick to the bottom upon baking.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 46.5g | Protein: 10.4g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 9.8g | Sugar: 2.9g | Iron: 3mg