Healthy Fried Brown Rice With Vegetables
Learn how to make healthy fried brown rice with fresh vegetables. Simple, delicious and wholesome vegetable fried rice recipe that is better than takeout.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3-4 medium garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2" ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper diced red and green each
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 3-4 springs of green onion (scallions)
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- salt to taste
In a medium pot add rice and water and bring mixture to boil. Then simmer on low heat with cover for 25 mins. Let it cool down completely. Using a fork fluff the rice to separate the grains before using.
In a large skillet
heat oil on medium to high heat.
Add chopped garlic, ginger and the white portion of scallions (reserve green for garnishing). Cook it for 1-2 mins.
Then add diced peppers, carrot and peas. Stir fry them for few minutes (see notes).
Now add soy sauce, rice vinegar and mix well.
Finally, add cold rice and mix well with vegetables. Season with salt if necessary.
Garnish with green onions and serve warm.
- Cooking vegetables - If you want vegetables to be nice and crunchy, just saute them until you get the desired texture. And if you want vegetables soft in texture then add 2 tbsp of water, cover the skillet and cook it for 3 mins. Then add soy sauce and vinegar and follow the next set of instructions.
- Cooking rice - You can cook rice well in advance or use leftover rice in this recipe. Cold rice works best and makes it easy to stir fry without breaking them. However, you can use freshly cooked rice if you want. The taste won't change if you use fresh rice. I always make rice fresh for this recipe and let it cool down completely before adding into vegetables.
- While preparing scallions, separate white part, slice and cook them with ginger and garlic. Reserve green part of the scallions to use at the end to garnish.