Learn how to make healthy fried brown rice using this simple and easy recipe. A wholesome meal with fresh ingredients and way better than takeout. And, a perfect way to incorporate whole grains into your diet.
If you feel some resistance to eating fiber-rich brown rice then try these recipes like Mexican brown rice, cilantro lime brown rice or this easy vegetable fried rice. These will inspire you to cook with brown rice more often.
Brown rice does taste delicious if you cook it the proper way. And this Asian style fried rice with brown rice is far better and healthier than takeouts. Believe me, you will want to make it again and again.
How to make healthy fried brown rice
- In sesame oil fry some garlic, ginger, and scallions.
- Then add diced fresh vegetables and cook for a few minutes or until softens.
- Now add soy sauce, rice vinegar and mix well.
- Finally, add cooked brown rice and mix well with vegetables. Garnish with fresh sliced green scallions and serve warm.
Vegetable fried rice with brown rice- Helpful Tips!
- Brown rice – preferably use Jasmine brown rice for making this Asian fried brown rice. However, it is not mandatory. Sometimes I also use long grain brown rice if I don’t have Jasmine rice handy. Make sure the rice is perfectly cooked according to your likings.
- You can also use white rice instead of brown rice.
- Dice fresh vegetables like carrots, bell peppers into small cubes for even cooking.
- Eggs – you can add eggs and turn it into egg fried rice. It will make this rice even more filling and rich in protein. In some oil scramble a couple of eggs and add them into the prepared vegetable fried rice.
- Use a large nonstick skillet or large wok for making this rice dish. It helps to fry and mix vegetables with rice easily.
The best type of rice for fried rice
In Chinese cooking, medium to long grain white rice is used for making any type of fried rice. Rice that is fluffy and does not clump together upon cooking works best for making fried rice. Usually, the Jasmine rice variety gives you this texture. However, practically any type of cooked rice will work for making this dish.
Preferably use day old or leftover cooked rice (or fresh but cold rice) for this recipe. The rice slightly dries out over time and makes it easy to separate the grains while mixing and gives a nice fluffy texture to the dish.
What to serve with Fried Rice
- Serve this healthy fried brown rice on the side of stir fry vegetables or this chili garlic tofu for a complete wholesome meal.
- Also to make a complete meal you can pair it with starters like shrimp spring rolls or tofu spring rolls, soups, etc.
You will love these Asian inspired recipes
- Chili Garlic Tofu
- Soba Noodle Soup
- Vietnamese Shrimp Spring Rolls
- Spring Roll Salad Bowl
- Vegetarian Spring Rolls
FOOD FOR THE SOUL
“Truth is one, single, and it can never be misinterpreted. To know the truth it is essential that whatever human awareness we have got, it has to be expanded. There is something still lacking in that awareness by which we cannot know God, we cannot know the truth.” (Shri Mataji, Preston, UK, 1980).
Healthy Fried Brown Rice With Vegetables
- 2 cup Jasmine brown rice
- 3 ½ cup water
- In a medium pot add rice and water and bring mixture to boil. Then simmer on low heat with cover for 25 mins. Let it cool down completely. Using a fork fluff the rice to separate the grains before using.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger and the white portion of scallions (reserve green for garnishing). Cook it for 1-2 mins.
- Then add diced peppers, carrot and peas. Stir fry them for few minutes (see notes).
- Now add soy sauce, rice vinegar and mix well.
- Finally, add cold rice and mix well with vegetables. Season with salt if necessary.
- Garnish with green onions and serve warm.
- Cooking vegetables - If you want vegetables to be nice and crunchy, just saute them until you get the desired texture. And if you want vegetables soft in texture then add 2 tablespoon of water, cover the skillet and cook it for 3 mins. Then add soy sauce and vinegar and follow the next set of instructions.
- Cooking rice - You can cook rice well in advance or use leftover rice in this recipe. Cold rice works best and makes it easy to stir fry without breaking them. However, you can use freshly cooked rice if you want. The taste won't change if you use fresh rice. I always make rice fresh for this recipe and let it cool down completely before adding into vegetables.
- While preparing scallions, separate white part, slice and cook them with ginger and garlic. Reserve green part of the scallions to use at the end to garnish.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on our Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here