What is the best thing about this soba noodle soup? It’s a one pot recipe!. I prepared this soup using lots of fresh vegetables such as bok choy, mushrooms, peppers, carrot, celery etc., It hardly takes 30 min to prepare if all ingredients are handy.
What I love about this soup are shrimps and mushrooms. Yes! I am a big fan of both. We enjoyed it so much that, I made this soup at-least 5-6 times in last couple of weeks before making it for this post. I am sure, this Asian soba noodle soup will give you one more option to fight cold winter nights. Or, you can also consider this whole grain based Healthy Barley Soup as an alternative.
Some facts about soba noodles
- Did you know soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat?
- Buckwheat is rich in protein and dietary fibers and does not contain gluten. However, soba noodles may contains some gluten if it is not made from 100% buckwheat.
- Soba noodles are firm in texture when cooked and are not chewy
How this Soba Noodle Soup is healthy?
This soba noodle soup is healthy because it:
- is high in vitamin A and C
- contains lots of fresh vegetables
- is rich in dietary fibers and high in proteins
- is low in fat and contains no added saturated fat
Asian Soba Noodle Soup With Shrimp & Vegetables
Asian soba noodle soup loaded with fresh vegetables. Rich in fibers and proteins. Healthy option for busy weeknights.
- 1 oz buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 cup thickly chopped bok choy
- 1/2 cup carrot julienned
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 10-12 large shrimps deveined (I used frozen)
- 2 cups low sodium organic chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp mined ginger
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional if you don't like)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1/3 cup spring onions sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro (optional for garnish)
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add minced ginger, garlic and saute until fragrant for about 30 sec. Add onion and saute until trasluscent.
- Add mushrooms, bok choy, sliced red and green peppers, carrot, celery, chicken stock and water. Bring mixture to boil.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, fennel seeds, chili garlic sauce, salt and pepper and simmer the soup for about 5-7 min.
Then add shrimp and noodles and cook it for further 3-4 min. Do not overcook the noodles
- Turn off the heat. Add spring onions and cilantro, serve warm.
- If you are not a fan of buckwheat noodles, try wheat noodles instead.
Some more one pot recipe options that you may like:
If you like this recipe in any way, spread the love by sharing with your friends and family.
Your valuable feedbacks and comments will make our day and encourage us to share more great healthy recipes with you. Thank you for stopping by!