What is the best thing about this soba noodle soup? It’s a one-pot recipe!. I prepared this soup using lots of fresh vegetables such as bok choy, mushrooms, peppers, carrot, celery etc., It hardly takes 30 min to prepare if all ingredients are handy.
What I love about this soup are the shrimp and mushrooms. Yes! I am a big fan of both.
We enjoyed it so much that, I made this soup at least 5-6 times in the last couple of weeks before making it for this post.
I am sure, this Asian soba noodle soup will give you one more option to fight cold winter nights. Or, you can also consider this whole grain-based Healthy Barley Soup as an alternative.
Some facts about soba noodles
- Did you know soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat?
- Buckwheat is rich in protein and dietary fibers and does not contain gluten. However, soba noodles may contain some gluten if it is not made from 100% buckwheat.
- Soba noodles are firm in texture when cooked and are not chewy
How this Soba Noodle Soup is healthy?
This soba noodle soup is healthy because it:
- is high in vitamin A and C
- contains lots of fresh vegetables
- is rich in dietary fibers and high in proteins
- is low in fat and contains no added saturated fat
You Will Also Love These Asian Recipes
- Healthy Fried Brown Rice
- Vietnamese Healthy Spring Rolls
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls Salad
- Chili Garlic Tofu Stir Fry
- Browse all Asian Recipes
Asian Soba Noodle Soup With Shrimp & Vegetables
- 1 oz buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 cup thickly chopped bok choy
- ½ cup carrot julienned
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 10-12 large shrimps deveined (I used frozen)
- 2 cups chicken stock (low sodium organic)
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mined ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- ⅓ cup spring onions sliced
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add minced ginger, garlic and saute until fragrant for about 30 sec. Add onion and saute until trasluscent.
- Add mushrooms, bok choy, sliced red and green peppers, carrot, celery, chicken stock and water. Bring mixture to boil.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, fennel seeds, chili garlic sauce, salt and pepper and simmer the soup for about 5-7 min.
- Then add shrimp and noodles and cook it for further 3-4 min. Do not overcook the noodles
- Turn off the heat. Add spring onions and cilantro, serve warm.
- If you are not a fan of buckwheat noodles, try wheat noodles instead.
- You can use ½ red bell pepper and ½ green bell pepper for a variety of colors in the soup.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on our Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.