What can be a more comforting food than a warm bowl of soup during chilly winter nights?
I guess the soup will get the most votes for winter foods. Don’t you think so? When this soup is healthy what else does our body need to fight the chilly temperatures outside.
Since I started writing this blog, I have become even pickier about what we eat. I started incorporating more whole grains instead of refined flour into our diet than before. That’s what the healthy food pyramid suggests to have for a balanced diet.
This barley soup is filling, contains very simple ingredients that are common and readily available. Initially, I made it spontaneously with ingredients that I had in my pantry at that time. We liked it so much that we decided to share this simple version of soup with you all. One bowl of barley soup and dinner is done.
How is this barley soup healthy?
This barley soup is healthy because
- it contains whole grains and is high in fiber contents
- it contains fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, tomatoes
- it is very low in saturated fat
MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE TO TRY
- Healthy Chicken Barley soup
- Healthy Broccoli Soup
- Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- Easy Vegetable Pasta Soup Recipe
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 celery stalk diced into small pieces
- 1 onion diced into small pieces
- 1-2 medium carrot peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 tomato diced into small pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegan)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and saute until fragrant for about 30-40 sec
- Add onions and saute until lightly golden brown for about a min. or two
- Then add all the remaining ingredients except spring onions and let it boil.
- Simmer on low heat for about 30 min. or until the barley is tender
- Garnish with spring onions and serve warm to enjoy a bowl of barley soup