This one pot Mexican brown rice with tomatoes is a great option for any weeknight meals. It is really filling and tastes so fresh. Also, it is loaded with dietary fiber and healthy proteins.
I think these days I am in love with one pot meals. If you are following this blog, then you can definitely see it. Today again I am here sharing this one pot Mexican brown rice recipe with you all. I have made tomato rice several times before but, the Indian version (would share this one too sometime). Dr. Gulati and I, we both love it so much. However, this time I wanted to try the tomato rice using brown rice and Mexican spices. Getting into healthy eating habits constantly inspires me to experiment with whole grain based recipes.
Here is a result of one such experiment. What I love about this Mexican brown rice is that it is
- a one pot meal
- filling and makes you feel full for longer
How is this Mexican brown rice healthy?
This Mexican brown rice with tomatoes is healthy because
- it contains whole grain brown rice. Whole grains are rich in dietary fiber
- it contains black beans. Black beans are the source of good protein compared to meat, especially red meat
- And it does not contain added saturated fat from butter or cheese. This tomato rice is prepared in avocado oil. Avocado oil is a healthy oil as it contains good saturated fat.
To prepare this tomato rice, I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones. I really like the fresh flavors and therefore, usually, I avoid using processed tomatoes unless there is an emergency. However, you can use canned tomatoes if you want to.
You may also like this Mexican Chicken Rice
Mexican-Style Tomato Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock low sodium organic (or vegetable stock for vegan)
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped parsley (for garnish)
- 1 roma tomato seeded and sliced (for garnish)
- Clean the brown rice using water and set it aside by soaking it in water.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add onion and saute until translucent
- Add in tomatoes, seasonings including chili powder, curry powder, cumin powder and mix well. Cook tomatoes until tender for about 4-5 mins.
- Then add chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegan) and bring mixture to boil.
- Drain all the water from rice and add it to the tomato mixture.
- Simmer the rice (covered) for about 35-45 min or until tender. After 20 min add in black beans and continue further cooking. Cooking time will depend upon the variety of brown rice and how tender you prefer your rice.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with some chopped parsley and sliced fresh tomato. Serve warm to enjoy this bowl of healthy Mexican brown rice.
- You can also boil chicken or veggie stock in a separate pan while cooking tomatoes. It will reduce some cooking time.
- This Mexican brown rice can also be paired with fresh fresh guacamole and some cheese and can be served as a side dish or as a main dish
Some more one pot recipe options that you may like: