This easy Instant Pot Mexican brown rice is a wonderful side dish option. Quick prep time along with tons of flavors this brown rice dish is my go-to recipe whenever I cook Mexican meals at home.
If you are not a fan of brown rice, yet you want to eat it more often because of its health benefits then I would suggest cooking it in an Instant Pot if you have one. You will love it!
Ever since I started cooking brown rice in the pressure cooker, especially in IP, my dear husband stopped saying NO (or giving ugly looks ) to it.
This time I am sharing with you the IP version of our all-time favorite and most popular Mexican Style Tomato Brown Rice (with slight variations). You can follow the original recipe (stovetop version) if you want to cook this dish without the Instant Pot.
What You Will Need!!
You may find these ingredients already sitting in your pantry.
- Brown rice – use long grain rice
- Onion – dice it into small pieces
- Garlic – chop it finely
- Tomatoes – dice them into small pieces
- Blend of Mexican spices
- Cooking oil – I use avocado oil or olive oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Instant Pot Mexican Brown Rice
Cook some onion with garlic in little oil in Instant Pot on saute mode. Then add brown rice and saute for 4-5 min. Add Mexican spices, tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 min. Finally, add water, season with salt, and mix well.
Cook the mixture on manual high pressure for 22 min. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 min. Then manually vent out the steam. Gently mix the rice, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm.
- Brown rice – You can use any long-grain brown rice variety for this recipe. I always use brown Basmati rice in my kitchen.
- You can also add cooked beans to the dish once the rice is done to make it a complete and filling meal.
More Mexican recipes You WIll Love!
More Instant Pot Recipes!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments if you REALLY like this recipe. Thank You!
Instant Pot Mexican Brown Rice
- Heat cooking oil on medium saute mode in Instant Pot.
- Add garlic, onion and cook until translucent or for 2-3 mins.
- Now add rice, chipotle chili powder, and cumin powder and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 min.
- Then add water, salt to taste and mix well.
- Cook the mixture on manual high pressure for 22 mins.
- Let the steam release naturally for 1 min and then quick release the remaining.
- Add freshly chopped cilantro and mix well. Serve warm.
- I prefer to clean the rice with water before using them in recipes. You can rinse and drain the excess water from rice using a large strainer.
- This rice dish has a slight heat coming from chipotle chili powder. You can consider it adding as per your taste. I love its flavors even though it is slightly hot.
- You can also serve lime wedges on the side of this brown rice dish.