If you are looking for options to eat more whole and healthy grains, then you should try this healthy brown rice salad. It is a perfect meal for lunch or dinner. This salad is very filling that will help you stay full for longer. You won’t feel brown rice is boring anymore.
Since we started this blog, our eating habits have completely changed. I think it’s because of our niche for healthy recipes which contain healthy ingredients and are not limited to any specific cuisine. Therefore, our frequency of cooking Indian dishes has reduced significantly in our kitchen.
Why am I telling this to you guys?… Tushar was craving Indian food a few weeks back, specifically his favorite lentils with rice (Dal Rice). So poor of him…I didn’t prepare Indian-style lentil rice on that day; instead, I tried this lentil and rice salad. And, we got one more option to fall in love with brown rice.
What I love about this salad. It is….
- & easy to prepare
How this lentil brown rice salad is healthy?
This healthy brown rice salad…
- contains healthy proteins from lentils
- contains dietary fiber from brown rice as well as lentils
- is rich in vitamins and minerals
- contains healthy fat from fresh avocado
Healthy Brown Rice & Lentil Salad
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup whole lentils
- 2 cup water (or low sodium organic chicken stock or vegetable stock)
- 1 large cucumber peeled and finely diced
- ½ cup corn (I used frozen)
- 1-2 roma tomatoes seeded and finely diced
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2-3 tablespoon loosely packed chopped parsley
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup skim milk (almond milk if vegan)
- ½ cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a medium pot add rice, lentils and water or chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring the mixture to boil. Then simmer on low heat for about 35-45 min or until rice and lentil are tender. Once cooked, turn off the heat and let it cool for 5-10 min
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine cucumber, corn, tomato, onion and parsley. Then add in cooked rice and lentils and mix well
- In a blender add avocado, milk, mint leaves, jalapeño and pulse it until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Enjoy a bowl of healthy brown rice salad with lentils and creamy avocado dressing.
- If you don’t like the flavor of mint, substitute it with cilantro (coriander) instead
- You can also serve this salad with some cheese of your choice
LaKisha Riddick says
My family and I are eating healthier too. I think I can make this for my family and have leftovers! Pinning!
This could be the whole meal for me. Delicious
This is exactly the kind of salad I love, especially since it’s getting to be salad weather now. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday. 🙂
Debbie Rodrigues says
I saved it to my Yummly and I’ll be pining it for later.
With temperatures rising, I love to have more salad.
And thanks a lot for including the vegan alternative.
Cassandra Holdeman says
This looks delicious!!! Can’t wait to try it.
Jessy @ The Life Jolie says
What a gorgeous salad- I love all the colors! It looks delicious 🙂
handmade by amalia says
My kind of recipe. Looks delicious.
This looks delicious and so healthy! Can’t wait to try it!