If you are looking for options to eat more whole and healthy grains then you should try this healthy brown rice salad. It is a perfect meal for lunch or dinner. This salad is really filling that will help you stay full for longer. You won’t feel brown rice to be boring any more.
Since we started this blog, our eating habits have completely changed. I think it’s because of our niche for healthy recipes which contain healthy ingredients and are not limited to any specific cuisine. Therefore, our frequency of cooking Indian dishes has reduced significantly in our kitchen. Why am I telling this to you guys?…Few weeks back, Tushar was craving for Indian food, specifically his favorite lentil curry with rice (Dal Rice). So poor of him…I did’t prepare Indian style lentil rice on that day, instead I tried this lentil brown rice salad. And, we got one more option to fall in love with brown rice.
What I love about this salad. It is….
- & easy to prepare
How this lentil brown rice salad is healthy?
This healthy brown rice salad…
- contains healthy proteins from lentils
- contains dietary fibre from brown rice as well as lentils
- is rich in vitamins and minerals
- contains healthy fat from fresh avocado
Healthy Brown Rice & Lentil Salad
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup whole lentils
- 2 cup water (or low sodium organic chicken stock or vegetable stock)
- 1 large cucumber peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 1-2 roma tomatoes seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2-3 tbsp loosely packed chopped parsley
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup skim milk (almond milk if vegan)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a medium pot add rice, lentils and water or chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring the mixture to boil. Then simmer on low heat for about 35-45 min or until rice and lentil are tender. Once cooked, turn off the heat and let it cool for 5-10 min
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine cucumber, corn, tomato, onion and parsley. Then add in cooked rice and lentils and mix well
- In a blender add avocado, milk, mint leaves, jalapeño and pulse it until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Enjoy a bowl of healthy brown rice salad with lentils and creamy avocado dressing.
You can also serve this salad with some cheese of your choice
Some more whole grain based recipe options that you may like:
If you like this recipe in any way, spread the love by sharing with your friends and family.
Your valuable feedbacks and comments will make our day and encourage us to share more great healthy recipes with you. Thank you for stopping by!