This Southwest flavored grilled chicken burger recipe is perfect for outdoor barbecue parties. Make this healthy and cheese-free burger at home.
If you are looking for a filling, satisfying meal that you can make at home, then this grilled chicken burger recipe is a perfect solution.
We try various burger recipes at home. The reason behind this might sound weird.
Tushar is a crazy fan of burgers. Whenever we go to any restaurant, he will first look for the burger options on the menu. His restaurant ratings are entirely based on whether he likes their burgers or not! Weird right? I know…
Therefore, I am always on the lookout for making burgers with different flavors at home. You can have a look at some of our favorite burger recipes that I have shared in the past on Watch What U Eat, such as this Zucchini Salmon Burger and Black Bean Quinoa Burger. I also make fresh oven-baked fries using sweet potatoes to go with my homemade burgers. No need to compromise on taste when you are eating healthy!
Southwest Grilled Chicken Burger
I am sure you will love this grilled chicken burger. WHY? Because of all its flavors! This grilled burger is —
- full of flavors
The Mexican flavors in this burger are so tempting that you will want to make it again and again. Moreover, it is perfect for summer grilling, potlucks, picnics etc. A couple of weeks back, I took it to a barbecue potluck at our friend’s house. And these burgers just disappeared in no time.
This ground chicken burger recipe is healthy because it is made using
- chicken – a lean meat when compared to beef, pork, and lamb. Therefore, it provides healthy animal protein with relatively low cholesterol 
- multigrain rolls
- avocado – a great source of healthy fat
- no cheese
- and these chicken burger patties are grilled on a lightly greased grill pan
Southwest Grilled Ground Chicken Burger
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup baked tortilla chips crushed
- 1 small onion finely diced
- ½ red pepper finely diced
- 1 ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 5-6 multigrain rolls
- 2 cups choice of greens
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 cup salsa (homemade or store bought)
- ½ red onion sliced (optional)
- baked tortilla chips (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all the ingredients listed under burger patties (except the oil). Mix well and divide into 5-6 equal parts. Form each part into a roughly ½″ thick patty
- Heat a grill pan on a medium heat. Lightly grease the pan with oil. Cook chicken patties on heated grill for 5-6 min on each side or until well done. You can also cook them an outdoor charcoal or gas grill for extra smokey flavors.
- Cut burger buns into half and slightly toast them on the grill.
- Place some greens on one side of burger rolls followed by the grilled chicken patty, some onions, fresh avocado slices. Finally, top with fresh salsa and serve with tortilla chips.
- You can add cheese as well if you’d like to. Place a cheese slice on the grilled burger patty just before taking it out from the pan.
Question. Do you crush 1/2 cup of chips, or do you use a 1/2 cup of crumbs?
Watch What U Eat says
Hi Aaron, I use 1/2 cup of crumbs.
Can you do without the tortilla chips in the burgers?
Watch What U Eat says
Yes! you can do it without using tortilla chips. You can use bread crumbs or panko instead. Adding tortilla chips or bread crumbs helps to absorb excess moisture and helps bind the burger patties.
Megan @ MegUnprocessed says
Looks wonderful. Great photography.
Julie Hood says
We are all about burgers in the summer, and this sounds incredible!!!