These cilantro lime grilled chicken thighs are perfect to add to the outdoor barbecue party menu during summer. Prep ahead in no time and take them to barbecue potlucks. Super simple with loads of flavors these grilled chicken thighs will be a hit.
You can never go wrong with grilled chicken infused with Mexican-inspired cilantro-lime flavors. Just serve them with simple guacamole for an appetizer. Or serve on the side of Mexican rice or salads to compliment the meal.
These grilled chicken thighs were a hit at our outdoor barbecue party this season. These were gone in no time as soon as they came out of the grill. That’s when I decided to share this recipe here if you all are looking for something similar for your party season.
What you will need for the Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade?
You will need very simple and easily available ingredients for making the cilantro lime marinade for the grilled chicken thighs recipe.
- Fresh Cilantro – use plenty of fresh cilantro leaves as well as stems.
- Garlic cloves – mince or chop them finely or grate them.
- Ground cumin – Try to use homemade roasted cumin powder whenever possible. It adds amazing flavors to any dish.
- Paprika – use it according to your taste
- Salt and pepper
- Lime juice and zest – use fresh lime juice for fresh flavors.
- Oil – you can use any cooking oil. Personally, I prefer to cook with healthy Avocado oil or Olive oil.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken Thighs:
In a mixing bowl prepare marinade using all the ingredients mentioned above. Mix the boneless chicken thighs with prepared cilantro lime marinade. Marinate the chicken for a few hours in the refrigerator. Cook the marinated chicken on a preheated grill or grill pan or skillet for about 5-6 mins on each side. Serve warm.
What Goes with Grilled Chicken Thighs?
- For a wholesome meal serve this grilled cilantro lime chicken on the side of Mexican brown rice or zucchini rice and homemade guacamole.
- For an appetizer, you can serve it with chunky avocado salsa or simple guacamole.
- Also, you can add it to salads like this brown rice lentil salad and make it more filling
Grilled Chicken Recipe – Useful Tips!
- Use organic and pasture-raised chickens whenever possible. It comes a little expensive but it’s far better than eating artificially grown chickens. I mean hormone-treated ones. We have also felt a difference in taste.
- In this recipe, I use boneless skinless chicken thighs. It helps to cut down the fat coming from the skin. And boneless chicken thighs take less time to cook compared to bone-in thighs. However, you can also use chicken breast or bone-in chicken thighs as well. Cooking times may vary slightly.
- You can cook the marinated chicken on an outdoor barbecue grill or on the grill pan on a normal stove top. Or simply, you can also use a frying pan to cook them if you don’t have a grill.
- Always preheat the grill or grill pan before cooking the chicken. It will develop a nice crust on the grilled chicken.
- You can marinate the chicken well in advance and take to the grill whenever you want. I usually marinate the chicken before noon for an evening barbecue party. The longer you marinate the chicken the more flavorful it will be.
- Bring marinated chicken to room temperature before cooking on the grill. It will help to cook the chicken evenly.
Easy Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
Cilantro Lime Marinade
- 1 cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil plus some more
- salt and pepper
- In a small mixing bowl combine all the ingredients mentioned under cilantro lime marinade.
- Coat the chicken thighs with the prepared marinade evenly. Cover and marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour or so.
- Preheat the grill to about 400F or preheat the grill pan on medium heat.
- Brush some oil on the grill and cook the chicken thighs for about 5-6 minutes. Flip them and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until well done.
- Serve warm when ready.
- You can also use this cilantro lime marinade with chicken breasts or drumsticks. However, cooking times may vary.
- Cook the chicken until the pink color in the center disappears. And do not overcook it; otherwise, it will become hard in texture. Perfectly cooked chicken gives a soft and juicy texture.
- Lime juice also acts as a meat tenderizer, and in this case, it makes the chicken tender and juicy.
- You can use less lime juice than mentioned above if you are not a fan of the strong tangy taste.
These look delicious!