Loaded with fresh zucchini and garlic flavors this healthy zucchini rice is ready in 30 mins. Perfect, quick and easy recipe to include in a weeknight dinner or lunch menu.
Have you ever wondered what you can make with fresh zucchini or summer squash?
Then try this zucchini rice recipe. Something different than baking or sauteeing or making zoodles. A very simple and easy yet healthy dish that you can make in less than 30 min or so. Also, this rice pilaf will be perfect for those days of summer when zucchini is in season.
How to make Zucchini Rice?
You need to cook the rice first until they are soft and tender. Meanwhile, grate zucchini using the coarse side of a grater. In a frying pan cook some cumin seeds and fresh garlic in little oil. Then saute grated zucchini for a few minutes. Add cooked rice, some lime or lemon juice and mix well with zucchini. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. That’s it!
What to serve with Zucchini Rice pilaf?
- This zucchini rice goes perfectly well with Mexican style black beans or pinto beans.
- You can also serve it as cumin rice pilaf with Indian curries like red lentil curry, chickpea curry, chicken curry or chickpea tikka masala.
- Add some fresh mozzarella cheese to it while serving. This combination will be kids favorite. I am sure they will not notice the zucchini in it. Win-Win situation!
Zucchini Rice Recipe – Helpful Tip!
- Buy fresh, firm and medium to large sized zucchinis. To grate the zucchini, use the coarse side of the grater.
- You can also use a food processor to turn zucchini into small pieces. Cut the zucchini into large pieces and then pulse them for a few seconds in a food processor.
- Cooked rice that is fluffy and separated will be easy to mix with the grated zucchini. Therefore, avoid using a sticky variety of rice in this recipe.
- Preferably use a nonstick frying pan to cook the zucchini. This will prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan and will be easy to mix with rice.
Some more interesting rice recipes you may love to try!
- One Pot Spinach Rice
- Healthy Mexican Brown Rice
- One Pot Palak Paneer Rice
- Mexican Chicken Rice
- Vegetable Biryani
Quick and Easy Healthy Garlic Zucchini Rice
- 1 ½ cup white rice
- 3 cup water
For Zucchini Base
- 2 medium zucchini grated
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- chopped cilantro to garnish
- salt and pepper
- Bring water and rice to boil in a medium pot. Add salt according to taste and simmer on low heat for 15 min with lid on.
- Once the rice is cooked, using fork fluff it to separate the grains. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add cumin seeds and cook for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Add minced garlic and cook for a few seconds.
- Then add grated zucchini and turn heat to high. Then cook the zucchini for 3-4 min with continuous stirring.
- Add rice, lime juice, black pepper, and mix well (see notes). Adjust salt if necessary.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve warm
- I always use an Indian variety of rice (sona masoori or basmati rice) in white rice recipes. This rice usually takes 12-15 min to cook once water comes to boil. However, you can use your favorite variety of white rice.
- While mixing the rice with zucchini if you find that it is burning in the bottom of the pan then turn off the heat and continue mixing.
- You can add less lime juice than mentioned or completely skip it if you don't prefer the sour taste.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on our Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here
We really enjoyed this recipe; It was exactly what I was looking for in order to use up two zucchinis that were in my refrigerator. We will make this again, thank you for sharing it.
Stephanie Milford says
This was delicious and so simple. Easy way to get more veges in. I added chopped baby spinach before serving.
I will have to try this recipe, I love your idea, All the vegetables that you mention here I absolutely love. thanks for sharing this.
Shelby Gruden says
This looks absolutely delicious! I love zucchini, spaghetti squash, and yellow squash. I def saved this to try!
Paige McEachren says
This looks so tasty and is such a great idea! I can’t believe I haven’t made this before. Thanks for sharing.