Try these amazingly flavorful grilled Tandoori Chicken Wings when you fire up your grill next time. Marinate the wings in yogurt and some Indian spice marinade and let the grill do its wonders! It’s that simple. You can make them for outdoor parties and trust me–your guests will keep asking for more.
I am really excited to share this recipe on the blog.
Why?? There are two reasons.
First is, I am finally getting back on track after giving a break to writing and publishing the recipes. If you are a regular visitor to Watch What U Eat you might have noticed that I haven’t published a recipe in a while. A few months back I went through an abdominal surgery to remove a large cyst. That took a bit of toll on me and I needed some time off to recover from this physical and emotional trauma.
Many million thanks to the God Almighty for giving me the strength through Sahaja Yoga Meditation. Because of which I am completely recovered now. And also, thanks to you all for giving your love through website visits and keeping it alive.
Another reason for my excitement is the recipe itself. Ever since I started this website I wanted to share a recipe for this smoked tandoori chicken wings. You won’t believe that this is the very first dish in my recipe diary which I purchased back in 2015 to write my finalized recipes that I try in the kitchen.
And finally, the summer of 2018 brought down a day to get this spicy Indian chicken wings recipe published here. Let’s get started!
How to make grilled tandoori chicken wings?
These spicy Indian chicken wings are so simple and easy to make with tons of flavors.
Prepare a marinade using greek yogurt, red chili powder, ginger, garlic, tomato paste and some garam masala. Marinate the chicken wings in the prepared marinade for at least 1 hour. For more flavorful results marinate the chicken for additional hours. Cook the wings on preheated grill until well done on both sides.
Helpful tips to prepare Indian style chicken wings!
- Buy organic, pasture raised chicken wings whenever possible.
- Use Indian Kashmiri chili powder in this recipe. It gives the desired red color to the wings without adding excess heat to the dish.
- For a more deeper red color, add some tomato paste. It gives a nice red color to the wings. Typically in Indian tandoori chicken recipes, artificial red color is added for giving it the red color and making it look more appetizing. However, eventhough colors are food grade they are not good for our health.
- I would suggest marinating the chicken well in advance to get more flavorful wings. I usually marinate the chicken in the morning or afternoon for the evening barbecue party or potlucks.
Charcoal grill to get a natural smoky taste in the chicken wings
We find for the perfect and natural smoky taste charcoal grill works the best. Using charcoal grill involves some mess and additional time to prepare the grill. However, the delicious tastes of the smoky chicken wings or pizza or grilled peppers will be worth your initial efforts. This does not mean gas grill will make these tandoori chicken less tasty.
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Wings
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Summer Recipes/Chicken pinboard!
Follow Watch What U Eat on Pinterest (We always pin mouthwatering recipes)
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Wings
- In a large bowl prepare marinade by mixing plain greek yogurt* with other ingredients (except chicken and cilantro).
- Then add chicken wings to the yogurt marinade. Mix thoroughly to coat all the chicken wings evenly. Cover the bowl and let it marinate for at least 1 hr**.
- Then cook the marinated chicken wings on the preheated charcoal grill or gas grill for 10-12 min on each side or until well done.
- Spread finely chopped cilantro and serve warm
- *Use only greek yogurt to marinate the chicken because it contains less water and makes the marinade thick enough to stick on to the wings. If you do not have greek yogurt you can use regular yogurt by removing its water to some extent. Just place the yogurt in few layers of cheese cloth lined over a large strainer. Place a bowl underneath to collect excess water. Put the bowl with a strainer in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours. Prepare greek yogurt this way well in advance.
- **The longer you marinate the chicken the more flavorful it will be. And if you decide to marinate the chicken wings for more than 1-2 hours, place them in the refrigerator.
This page may include affiliate links which help us to deliver free recipes and maintain this blog.