Grilled Tofu Tikka Skewers – are perfect for party appetizers or making Indian tofu tikka masala curry. You will love this meatless delicacy with healthy protein. These are also perfect for potlucks and outdoor summer parties.
Have you ever tried Tikka Masala in Indian restaurants? And do you know the chicken/paneer/tofu added in the Tikka Masala is not just a plain thing? These are complete dishes in themselves and can be served as appetizers with dips or chutney.
Traditionally, paneer or chicken is marinated in spices and cooked to perfection in a tandoor oven. And, this is the secret behind the delicious smoky tasting Tikka Masala in addition to its gravy.
Grilled Tofu Tikka Skewers Recipe!
Prepare a basic marinade using garam masala, chili powder, ginger-garlic paste, greek yogurt, salt and some lime juice. Marinate tofu and bell peppers well in advance before grilling. Cook the tofu and peppers on the skewers to perfection on a preheated grill pan or outdoor barbecue grill. Serve these tofu kebabs with some mint chutney. You can absolutely make this recipe using paneer or chicken instead of tofu.
This grilled tofu will be a perfect addition to tofu starter recipes.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Grilled #Tofu Tikka #Kebabs for starters or making Indian Tofu Tikka Masala. #barbecue” quote=”Grilled Tofu Tikka Skewers Recipe”]
- Always purchase extra firm tofu for this type of recipe.
- Drain excess water from the tofu by using a tofu press. Or just wrap the tofu block in thick layers of paper towels and place something heavy on top of it. You can watch this helpful video tutorial
- Use greek yogurt for marination as it contains less water.
- Marinate tofu and veggies in the marinade for sufficient time to get more flavors.
- Buy dark colored, firm bell peppers with green and fresh looking stem.
Grilled Tofu Tikka – Health Benefits
Tofu is a good source of plant-based protein and it does not contain cholesterol. Moreover, it contains all eight essential amino acids. Tofu is naturally rich in iron, calcium, and minerals. It also provides a good amount of vitamin B1, zinc, copper and magnesium. Read more on tofu here. For vegetarian and vegan diets, tofu is an excellent source to replace dairy protein.
Bell peppers are a powerhouse of vitamin C and an excellent source of carotenoids. Also, they provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant health benefits (source).
Super-easy Grilled Tofu Tikka Skewers
- 14 oz block tofu (or paneer) cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large red onion cut into 1" pieces
- 2 bell peppers (red and green each) cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 " ginger finely minced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- salt to taste
- oil spray
- In a large mixing bowl add greek yogurt, chili powder, garam masala, ginger, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Mix well.
- Then add tofu and bell peppers and onion and mix well to coat marinade evenly. Keep it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
- Assemble the marinated tofu, peppers and onion on skewers alternately
- Cook them on lightly greased preheated grill on all sides until well done.
This page may include affiliate links which help us to deliver free recipes and maintain this blog.