Make this delicious and nourishing detox broccoli soup with fresh cleansing ingredients in just 30 min or so. A bowl of this goodness is perfect to pair with any meal.
If you are looking for a super easy detox soup recipe then this cleansing broccoli soup is a perfect fit for your needs. Moreover, it is healthy and loaded with all the goodness.
Ready to try? Then let’s start gathering the necessary ingredients.
Ingredients you will need!
- Broccoli – cut the florets into 1-2″ pieces
- Carrots – peel and cut into 1-2″ pieces
- Celery – trim off the ends and cut it into 1-2″ pieces
- Potato – peel and dice them into 1/2-1″ pieces
- Garlic cloves – peel and chop them finely
- Ginger – peel and chop it finely. It’s optional to use
- Onion – peel and dice into small pieces
- Oil – use any cooking oil
- Raw cashews – gives a creamy texture to the soup
- Liquid – either use vegetable stock or a blend of water and vegetable stock. Or, use chicken stock
How to cut vegetables for broccoli soup?
For making this soup, chop broccoli, carrot, and celery (except potato) roughly into 1-2″ size pieces. Also, peel, clean, and then dice the potato into 1-2″ pieces. You don’t have to be precise in cutting the veggies. Because once they are tender, we are going to blend them to get a homogeneous soup. It takes less time to prepare the veggies as it reduces the time to cut them into smaller and even-sized pieces.
If the broccoli has a long stem, then separate the florets from it. Also, remove the tough skin from the stem using a knife or a peeler and then dice it. This way, there will be a minimum wastage of broccoli.
How to make detox broccoli soup
Heat some oil in a large pot on medium heat.
Add chopped garlic, chopped ginger (optional), and onion; cook them until translucent. Now add carrot, celery, potato, and mix them well with the onion. Add liquid (veggie stock or a blend of water and stock) and bring the mixture to a boil.
Season well with salt and pepper, cover the pot, and cook the mixture on low heat until veggies are partially cooked.
Then add broccoli florets and cashew paste (or homemade cashew cream) to the soup mixture. Continue cooking until all the veggies are nice and tender.
Once done, use a hand blender and blend the mixture to get a nice homogeneous or chunky soup.
- Serve this warm bowl of detox broccoli soup with some croutons as an appetizer or light meal.
- Pair it with homemade focaccia bread or crusty bread or make an easy chicken sandwich or Italian veggie sandwich to go with this soup for a wholesome meal.
- Cooking broccoli – broccoli florets take less time to cook compared to other veggies in this soup. Therefore, I usually add them after partially cooking the other veggies. Also, cooking broccoli for a long time can make it lose its bright green color in the dish.
- To minimize wastage, peel, dice, and use the broccoli stem. Cook these diced broccoli stem with the other veggies as it may take a little longer to cook them compared to the green florets.
- You can avoid blending the soup to keep it chunky. In this case, dice all the vegetables into smaller sizes than suggested in the recipe.
What ingredients make it a detox soup?
Nutrient-dense ingredients in this soup such as broccoli, celery, carrot, ginger, and garlic, etc., are known to give a boost to our immunity and help detoxify the digestive system.
How long does this detox soup last?
You can store leftover broccoli soup in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
How to store and reuse leftover broccoli soup?
I always prefer using microwave-safe glass storage containers for storing food. This way, you can microwave the leftover soup the next day. Heat the soup in the microwave for 1-2 min, then stir the soup and again heat it for 1 more min. To avoid cold spots in the food, it is necessary to mix and reheat it in the microwave.
Try these more healthy soups
- Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower Soup
- Vegetable Pasta Soup
- Healthy Vegetarian Barley Soup
- Browse all HEALTHY SOUPS
Quick and Easy Detox Broccoli Soup
- 1 medium broccoli cut into medium-sized florets
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced into thick pieces
- 2 stalks celery diced into thick pieces
- 1 medium potato peeled and diced into 1” pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- ½” ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- ¼ cup raw cashews plus 3/4 cup water
- 4 cup liquid (2 cup water plus 2 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock)
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat
- Add chopped garlic, ginger, onion, and saute for 2-3 min or until translucent.
- Then add carrot, celery, and potatoes; mix well.
- Add liquid and bring mixture to boil
- Season with salt and pepper and cook the veggies on low heat for 10 min with the cover on.
- Meanwhile, boil raw cashews in a microwave for 3 min. Let it cool slightly and blend in a blender to get a creamy paste.
- Add broccoli florets and cashew paste to the soup mixture, mix well and continue cooking for another 5 min or until the broccoli is tender.
- Finally using a hand blender, blend the soup mixture to get a smooth consistency. Serve warm.
- If you are not a fan of ginger, then you can skip it.
- I roughly cut all the veggies (except potato) for this soup as I blend everything in the end. And it takes less time during preparation as opposed to cutting them fine and evenly sized. Potato is the only ingredient in this soup that takes more time to cook. Therefore, I prefer to cut it into equal and small pieces to reduce the cooking time.
Tools & Equipments
- Dutch Oven