Italian Veggie Sandwich – an easy, quick, and healthy sandwich recipe to start any morning or for wholesome lunch/dinner. It features fresh vegetables and whole-grain bread.
We both are a fan of Italian dishes. No wonder I keep trying to incorporate Italian spices and flavors into different dishes we prepare. I try to make them quick while easy to follow when it comes to breakfast dishes that involve less prep time.
How to Make an Italian Veggie Sandwich?
I always feel excited when I sit down to write recipe posts for you guys and get distracted from the actual recipe. Now let’s get back to our recipe.
I used fresh green and red peppers, mushrooms, and onions to make this healthy vegetable sandwich. I sautéed them with fresh garlic and basil until nice and tender. Once cooked, put them on the toasted whole-grain bread of your choice. Add fresh tomato slices, some mozzarella cheese, and sliced olives. It hardly takes 15 min to prepare.
You can also use frozen mixed peppers to further reduce your prep time.
How This Sandwich Recipe Is Healthy?
This vegetable sandwich is prepared using all clean and healthy ingredients.
- Bell peppers are a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants .
- Organic oatmeal bread makes it wholesome.
- It does not contain added saturated fat from butter.
- It contains mozzarella cheese in small amounts. Cheese is a good source of calcium and protein.
- The vegetables in this sandwich contain garlic and basil. Various studies indicate that garlic is good for health 
Italian Veggie Sandwich Recipe
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ red and green pepper each sliced
- 1 onion (sliced and divided)
- 1 tomato seeded and sliced
- 8 slices oatmeal bread toasted (or your choice of bread)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon mixed Italian spice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3-4 olives sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- In a nonstick or cast iron pan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced mushroom, garlic and saute for about 3 min
- Then add peppers, half of the sliced onions and saute for another 3 min. Add basil and mix well
- Spread cooked vegetables on toasted bread (half of the total). Then add tomato slices, onion, and olives.
- Finally, top with grated mozzarella cheese and cover with remaining bread slices.
- Assemble this veggie sandwich just before serving, as it may become soggy over time.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on our Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.