Yes, you heard it right – it is an Indian-Italian fusion healthy pizza recipe to enjoy the union of both Indian and Italian spices. If you like Indian spices, then definitely you are going to love this spice-enriched version of this pizza. And if you are not a fan of Indian spice then just go with traditional ones.
This is a hit version we’ve ever made and also relished by our friends who have tried it at our place. Since the last year and a half, I have been making it frequently at home whenever we crave for pizzas. So, you can imagine how expert I am in making it (just kidding :P).
When I started to learn making pizzas from scratch at home, it took me some trials and had to force ourselves with failed pizzas during those days. Sometimes it came out soggy on the top and sometimes little hard on the bottom. With some trials, I fixed these issues. Those times are long gone now. Now, I make pizza dough and pizza sauce at home these days.
If you follow this homemade healthy pizza recipe, you’ll never go through this phase when you are new to cooking like I was.
How this homemade pizza is healthy?
This pizza recipe is healthy because
- the pizza crust contains 100% whole wheat flour which gives additional fibre and protein
- it contains no preservatives or saturated fat from store bought pizza sauce and dough if you make it yourself at home
- it contains less cheese compared to restaurant pizzas and no butter. Therefore, it is low in saturated fat
Ingredients: Serve 6
- Pizza dough homemade or store bought sufficient to make 12-14” pizza
Pizza spice mix
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon chicken tikka boti masala (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chat masala
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes (or according to taste)
- ½ red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 8-10 grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese shredded (divided)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt according to taste
- ½ – ¾ cup homemade pizza sauce or store bought
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 400 F on a lower rack along with pizza stone.
- Mix all the spice listed under spice mix and keep it aside
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and very little salt (just sufficient for mushrooms) and saute. Salt will help to remove water from the mushrooms quickly. Let all the water evaporate from the mushroom. Add 1 teaspoon of prepared spice and mix them well; turn off the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine sliced red pepper, onion, 1 teaspoon spice mix and salt to taste; mix well
- Roll out the pizza dough on a flat surface over parchment paper (dust some flour over the paper to avoid sticking) to make into 12”-14” pizza base.
- Evenly spread pizza sauce over the base. Then lightly spread ¼ cup cheese. Now, top with mushrooms, onions and peppers. Spread remaining cheese. Finally top with grape tomatoes and carefully transfer the pizza along with parchment paper over the baking pizza stone. Let it cook for about 15-18 min or until the cheese start to bubble and the base starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool slightly before cutting. Serve warm to enjoy this spice fusioned homemade healthy pizza
You may also like these recipes
I love colorful recipes indeed, and this pizza is absolutely flavorful!
Love this so good, our family really enjoyed it… saved it to one of my pins for pizza night! thanks!
Oh my heavens. I cannot believe I found this site and this recipe. You have made my day. I too lived in Italy with so many fond memories. I was a child when my father took a job with Pirelli. Then there were the Detroit days and a lot of waiting in line at Buddy’s for the best pizza ever. You have sparked a lot of interest for me. Thank you.
Hi! I’m going to try this one out tonight with my family ???? Hopefully they will enjoy!
Absolutely love this pizza recipe. It’s the only one I use. I make it every Friday night, my husband and kids love it. ???????????????? I’ve also done it for other members of the family and they can’t believe how amazing and authentic the pizzas turn out ????
I’ve been using a shop bought pizza sauce but would love to make my own.