Make this healthy tomato mushroom pizza using whole wheat pizza base and homemade tomato sauce to enjoy fresh pizza at home. Perfect for weekend nights to enjoy with friends and family.
When I started to make pizzas from scratch at home, it took me some trials, and we had to force ourselves with failed pizzas during those days. Sometimes it came out soggy on the top and sometimes a little hard on the bottom. With some trials, I fixed these issues. Those times are long gone now. Now, I also make pizza dough with whole wheat and pizza sauce using fresh tomatoes at home these days.
How is this tomato mushroom pizza healthy?
This pizza recipe is healthy because
- The pizza crust contains 100% whole wheat flour, which gives additional fiber and protein.
- It contains no preservatives or saturated fat from store-bought pizza sauce and dough if you make it yourself at home.
- It contains less cheese compared to restaurant pizzas and no butter. Therefore, it is low in saturated fat.
More Italian recipes to try
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments if you REALLY like this recipe. Thank You!
Healthy Tomato Mushroom Pizza
- pizza dough homemade or store-bought sufficient to make 12-14” pizza.
Pizza spice mix
- Preheat the oven to 400 F on a lower rack along with the pizza stone.
- Mix all the spices listed under spice mix and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, and a very little salt (just sufficient for mushrooms) and saute. Salt will help to remove water from the mushrooms quickly. Let all the water evaporate from the mushroom. Add 1 teaspoon of prepared spice and mix them well; turn off the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine sliced red pepper, onion, 1 teaspoon spice mix, and salt to taste; mix well.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a flat surface over parchment paper (dust some flour over the paper to avoid sticking) to make it into a 12”-14” pizza base.
- Evenly spread pizza sauce over the base. Then lightly spread ¼ cup cheese. Now, top with mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Spread the remaining cheese. Finally, top with grape tomatoes and carefully transfer the pizza along with parchment paper over the baking pizza stone. Let it cook for about 15-18 min or until the cheese starts to bubble and the base starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool slightly before cutting. Serve warm to enjoy homemade healthy pizza.