Easy homemade pizza sauce recipe. This sauce is made from fresh tomatoes, fresh spices to get ultimate fresh flavors and taste.
Last week I shared with you all a whole wheat pizza dough recipe. Now it’s turn to make some homemade pizza sauce, the second most important ingredient for making good pizzas. I think it is going to become a series for making homemade pizza from scratch as next time I am going to share a Indian Italian fusion pizza recipe.
Who is not going to love fresh pizza made with flavorful pizza sauce and that too homemade. This pizza sauce is made using fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones, and fresh spices like basil. Therefore, it takes slightly more time to cook the sauce and imbibe flavors from the spices. Believe me, the final taste of the sauce and thus the pizza is worth this extra cooking time.
How this homemade pizza sauce is healthy?
This pizza sauce
- contains no butter, thus low in saturated fat
- contains fresh ingredients like tomatoes as opposed to canned ones
Homemade pizza sauce
- 8-10 ripe red medium tomatoes puried
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant for about 30-45 sec
- Add onion and saute until translucent
- Add tomato puree, water and let it boil
- Season with remaining ingredients i.e spices, salt and pepper
- Simmer the mixture on very low heat for about 1 to 1.15 hrs or until desired consistency is reached. It does not require frequent stirring unless heat is high.
- Let it cool and store in airtight container in refrigerator or use immediately
- You can alter the spices according to your taste
You may also like