One hour homemade whole wheat pizza dough recipe to make delicious pizzas at home. It is healthy and low in saturated fat.
The key to tasty pizza lies in its crust. Whatever kind of pizza it may be, thin crust, thick crust, deep dish or even stuffed, its base is the most important component. If you master the dough recipe you can make your favorite type of pizza any time you want at home.Have you ever tried making pizza dough at home? If not, trust me it’s not a difficult task. Making whole wheat pizza dough at home is super simple. It will only take 15-20 mins. of active working time and about 1 hr proofing time (idle time: meaning shhh…don’t disturb the dough when it’s rising…just kidding).
Since I started making pizzas from scratch at home, we’ve never liked pizzas bought from outside. However, occasionally we like to eat from pizzerias that are local and family owned in our town.
There is no doubt, freshly made pizza dough and pizza sauce (and fresh cheese too) really make a lot more difference to the taste and quality. Please try it at home and I am sure you will think twice before buying pre-made dough from the stores next time.
How this whole wheat pizza dough is healthy?
Store bought or restaurant pizza bases contain empty calories as they are made from refined grain flour (i.e all-purpose flour). Empty calories are those that do not provide enough nutrition. However, replacing all-purpose flour with 100% whole wheat flour provide additional dietary fibres and protein. Whole wheat flour is high in protein and dietary fibre content when compared to all-purpose flour. Therefore, replacement of all-purpose flour is always beneficial.
Additionally, this recipe does not contain butter. Thus, this dough is low in saturated fat (that needs to be consumed sparingly according to healthy food pyramid).
If are new to cooking and if you will be successful in making this pizza dough, then you can also make some other similar recipes like naan bread, pita bread or simple bread.
Perfect whole wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
- 4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 sachet rapid rise active dry yeast (about 2 tsp)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ cup very warm water (not too hot)
- 1 cup very warm almond coconut milk or regular reduced fat milk (not too hot)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt according to taste
- In a large mixing bowl add wheat flour, all-purpose flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt and minced garlic; mix well
- Add warm water and milk to the flour mixture. Mix well using spatula or hand.
- Knead the dough in the bowl itself or on a flat surface. Rub some oil on the hand to avoid sticking of the dough
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for about 30-45 min or until it doubles in size.
- Dough is now ready to make some delicious pizzas, once it has risen
You may also like