Try this healthy garlic kale pasta to include super greens like kale into your diet. It is a super easy and quick recipe that you can make for your lunch or dinner.
These days kale pasta with pesto is one of my favorite additions to our recipe rotations. The reason is kale. Because it is a superfood and making it this way, we both are loving it. So it’s a win-win. Healthy as well tasty.
Give this kale pasta a try and I am sure you will start loving the otherwise boring kale.
Ingredients you will need!
- Kale – use organic fresh kale for a flavorful dish.
- Pasta – we love eating brown rice pasta. However, you can use your choice of pasta. Cook it according to the instructions given on the package.
- Pesto – I use classic basil pesto to flavor the kale and pasta.
- Garlic – use freshly chopped garlic.
- Cooking oil – I always use cooking olive or avocado oil.
- Tomato – it is optional. Add chopped tomato, in the end, to add a pop of color to the dish.
How to make garlic kale pasta?
In a large frying pan, sauté freshly chopped garlic in some cooking oil. Then add chopped kale and cook until it wilts or the raw taste goes away. Now add cooked pasta, salt to taste, and chopped tomato. Stir the mixture for a couple of mins. Turn off the heat and then add basil pesto and mix well. Serve while it is warm.
- Serve this shrimp and zucchini noodles or chicken in tomato sauce on the side of this pesto and kale pasta for a wholesome complete meal.
- Or make baked salmon and veggies to serve with this pasta dish.
- Or prepare Air Fryer chicken parmesan or vegetarian eggplant parmesan to complement this dish.
- Use fresh and organic kale for more deliciousness. Chop kale leaves finely and as uniform as possible for an appealing appearance.
- Preferably cook pasta for 1-2 min less than the cooking time mentioned on the package. This way, the pasta will not overcook later while sautéing with the veggies.
- Whenever possible, use homemade fresh basil pesto for added flavors and freshness in the dish.
- Add pesto at the end of cooking. Preferably turn off the heat and then mix pesto with pasta. This way, the basil in the pesto will not lose its taste and flavor due to high temperature or heating.
- If you decide to use brown rice or quinoa pasta, then make sure not to overcook it. Also, handle it gently while mixing with the veggie and pesto to avoid breaking the pasta.
How to store leftover garlic kale pasta
Store remaining pasta in an air-tight glass container in the refrigerator. You can use it within 1-2 days.
How to use leftover kale pasta
Sprinkle some water over the leftover pasta and then microwave it for 1-2 min. Or heat it in a nonstick frying pan on the stovetop until it gets warm or hot as per your liking. If you are using gluten-free pasta (for example, brown rice or quinoa pasta), make sure to mix it gently to avoid breaking the pasta.
More Italian inspired dishes to try
- Healthy Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo
- Healthy Zucchini Flatbread
- Whole Wheat Focaccia Bread
- Healthy Pizza Recipe
- All recipes here
Easy Garlic Kale Pasta
- 5-6 oz fresh kale chopped
- 3 cups raw pasta
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 medium roma tomato diced (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions given on the packet. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a large frying pan.
- Add chopped garlic and cook until fragrant for about 30-40 seconds.
- Then add fresh kale and saute for 3-4 min or until the raw taste goes away..
- Now add cooked pasta to the kale and mix everything well. Gently stir the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add basil pesto and chopped tomato to the kale pasta mixture. Mix well and serve warm.
- Once the pasta is cooked, immediately drain and rinse with cold water to avoid overcooking. This step is crucial if you love your pasta al dente.
- You can add more pesto to the dish to get the desired taste.
- Adding tomato in the end is completely optional.
Mary Ann Bachmann says
Perfect summer dish when the garden is ripe with luscious tomatoes & bushy kale!
I loved the Kale in this pasta. It was nutritious and filling.