Full of toasted nutty flavours, these homemade energy bars are so simple to prepare. The advantage of making them at home gives an option of reducing the sugar content, fat content and customizing them to our likings. This is the reason why I started making my own homemade energy bars. When they are ready, you can grab them any time when you feel hungry between mealtimes or as takeout breakfast when your mornings are super busy. Till date, this recipe is the most favorite of mine on this blog. And, we both really enjoyed them.
These homemade energy bars are prepared using healthy ingredients such as pecans, oats, chia seeds, dates etc. All these ingredients are a powerhouse of energy which you may know.
How this homemade energy bars are healthy?
These granola or energy bars are healthy as they are made from healthy ingredients and therefore these are
- high in fiber content (from oats, chia seeds and dates etc)
- high in protein content (from chia seeds and oats)
- low in sugar compared to store bought ones and contain natural sugars (from agave and dates)
- contains healthy unsaturated fats (polyunsaturated fats) from seeds and nuts
Pecan Chocolate Homemade Energy Bars
Delicious and nutty homemade energy bars perfect for takeout snacks or breakfast. Naturally sweetened and chocolaty.
- 3/4 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 10 dates pitted and finely ground
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (I used 60% bittersweet)
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts finely ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Spread pecans, walnuts, oats and chia seeds evenly on a baking sheet. Toast the mixture in the oven at 350 F (preheated) for 15 min. Once the mixture has cooled down transfer it to a medium bowl.
- Heat a small pan on medium heat. Turn the heat to low; add agave, cocoa powder, chocolate and cook it for about 1-2 min; turn off the heat. Add vanilla extract, ground peanuts; mix well and transfer them to the oats-pecan mixture.
- Finally, add ground dates to the mixture and using hands or spoon, thoroughly combine.
- Transfer it to a 8”x8” baking pan lined with parchment paper. Spread the mixture evenly and press hard using hands or slightly curved wooden spatula. It will avoid making crumbly bars.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator for about 30-60 minutes to set. Remove the bar and cut it equally into 10-12 small bars. Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last for few a days.
- If dates are quite hard, soak them in little water for about 15-20 min to soften before grinding.
- I used blender to make them fine. You can also use a food processor too for this purpose
You may also like