Learn to make your own homemade energy bars that are ideal for on-the-go snacks or breakfasts. Full of healthy ingredients and packed with nutrients.
Full of toasted nutty flavors, these homemade energy bars are so simple to prepare. The advantage of making them at home gives an option of reducing the sugar content, and fat content and customizing them to our liking. This is the reason why I started making our own energy bars. When they are ready, you can grab them any time when you feel hungry between mealtimes or as takeout breakfast when your mornings are super busy. To date, this recipe is the most favorite of mine on this blog. And we both really enjoyed them.
These easy energy bars are prepared using healthy ingredients such as pecans, oats, chia seeds, dates, etc. All these ingredients are a powerhouse of energy that you may know.
How these homemade energy bars are healthy?
These granola or energy bars are healthy as they are made from healthy ingredients, and therefore, these are…
- high in fiber content (from oats, chia seeds, dates, etc.)
- high in protein content (from chia seeds and oats)
- low in sugar compared to store-bought ones and contain natural sugars (from agave and dates)
- contains healthy unsaturated fats (polyunsaturated fats) from seeds and nuts
Pecan Chocolate Homemade Energy Bars
- Spread pecans, walnuts, oats and chia seeds evenly on a baking sheet. Toast the mixture in the oven at 350 F (preheated) for 15 min. Once the mixture has cooled down transfer it to a medium bowl.
- Heat a small pan on medium heat. Turn the heat to low; add agave, cocoa powder, chocolate and cook it for about 1-2 min; turn off the heat. Add vanilla extract, ground peanuts; mix well and transfer them to the oats-pecan mixture.
- Finally, add ground dates to the mixture and using hands or spoon, thoroughly combine.
- Transfer it to a 8”x8” baking pan lined with parchment paper. Spread the mixture evenly and press hard using hands or slightly curved wooden spatula. It will avoid making crumbly bars.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator for about 30-60 minutes to set. Remove the bar and cut it equally into 10-12 small bars. Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last for few a days.
- If dates are quite hard, soak them in little water for about 15-20 min to soften before grinding.
- I used blender to make them fine. You can also use a food processor too for this purpose