Creamy roasted butternut squash risotto with quinoa is an amazingly simple and delicious meal that you can make any day. A perfect healthy meal as a side or main dish.
Recipe Background / Inspiration
These days butternut squash is in abundance (seasonal effects). And whenever I visit our local grocery store I find these cute squashes staring at me. As if they are calling me to take them home. And why not? They are the ones after pumpkins to rule the fall season in terms of food. Right?
And you guessed it right. Today’s recipe is all about using butternut squash. If you love its creamy-slightly sweet taste after they are fully cooked then you will definitely love this roasted butternut squash risotto with quinoa. I made it using healthy whole grain i.e quinoa instead of traditional white Arborio rice. This means it is nutritious with full of wholesomeness.
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto With Quinoa?
This quinoa risotto is very easy to prepare. Peel and cut butternut squash into small pieces. Then cook them in preheated oven until they are nice and tender.
Meanwhile, cook onions and garlic in little oil in a dutch oven on medium heat. Then add quinoa, white wine vinegar, vegetable broth, and salt to taste. Cook everything till quinoa is well done. Now add mashed roasted butternut squash, parmesan cheese, and some fresh parsley. Keep adding water until you get to the desired consistency. Find step-by-step instructions on the recipe card below.
- Purchase butternut squash that is firm, without dents, and as even in size as possible. It will make peeling and cutting the squash much easier. Also, if you cut the squash into small pieces, they will take less time to cook.
- Serve this risotto while it is still warm to enjoy its perfect creamy texture.
- To use leftover risotto the next day, add some water, reheat and mix until it regains its fresh creamy texture.
- Rice risotto: You can use Arborio rice instead of quinoa to make authentic rice risotto. Make sure to cook the rice perfectly. Adjust the amount of vegetable broth or water accordingly.
- Vegan Risotto: Use dairy-free parmesan cheese to make this risotto vegan-friendly. It tastes equally delicious even without adding parmesan cheese.
- You can also use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth according to your preference.
Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto With Quinoa Recipe (Video)
Roasting Butternut Squash
- Preheat oven at 400F.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into 1″ pieces.
- Mix squash pieces with some salt, pepper and spread evenly on baking tray.
- Bake the squash for about 25-30 min until they are nice and tender. Once done, cool slightly and mash the pieces using the back of a wooden spatula.
Quinoa Risotto Base
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a dutch oven on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 30-40 sec.
- Then add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add quinoa and saute for 2-3 min. Then add vegetable broth and bring the mixture to boil.
- Season with salt and simmer on low heat for 15-18 min.
- Now add mashed roasted butternut squash and mix to combine.
- Cook further for 4-5 min. Keep adding water until it gets to the desired consistency.
- Add parmesan cheese and fresh parsley to garnish. Serve warm
- Do not mash the squash to a fine puree. Keep them as little chunks so that they are visible and add color to the risotto.