This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is prepared using fresh tomatoes. It is a healthy, creamy, and comforting soup perfect for light lunch/dinner with some bread toasts, appetizers or sides.
The best part of this creamy, luxurious soup is free from cream, butter, or added sugar. This means you can eat your soup guilt-free without thinking much about bad calories. Moreover, it is prepared using fresh red tomatoes, making it taste so good with natural flavors that you’d definitely want more than a bowl!
I know it is still summer, and thinking about soup gives me a feeling of fall and winter knocking on my door. But some soups are meant to be made in summer to enjoy flavors from fresh produce. For example, fresh corn chowder and, of course, this healthy roasted tomato soup that I am talking about. Don’t you think?
How To Make Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
This is the easiest soup I have ever made. It involves little to no preparation time. Cut fresh red tomatoes into halves and place them on a baking sheet. Also, throw in an onion and a garlic bulb, and tomatoes. Sprinkle some fresh thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Bake tomatoes in a preheated oven to perfection.
Transfer roasted tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a blender jar. Add some raw cashews, cayenne pepper, milk, and vegetable broth and blend to a smooth consistency. Your tomato soup is almost ready. Transfer this blended soup to a medium pan and bring it to a boil. Adjust seasoning according to your taste, if necessary. Serve warm with crusty bread or homemade focaccia bread for a wholesome meal.
Detailed instructions are given below.
- Choose rich-colored and firm fresh tomatoes for delicious and tempting homemade tomato soup. I use tomato on the vine variety for making this soup.
- To give this soup a more creamy texture, you can also add one small cooked potato while blending the soup. However, this involves an additional step of cooking potatoes, and therefore, most of the time, I don’t add it because I’m very lazy.
- Another key to this creamy soup is the blending process. Make sure your blender will do this job perfectly. My Blendtec Blender has soup mode on it, and it does its job exceeding expectations.
- Do not use Aluminium pots (especially non-coated) to make this soup as tomatoes are naturally acidic and can react with the metal while cooking.
- Serve this warm bowl of fresh tomato soup with whole wheat focaccia bread or crusty homemade bread or simple croutons.
- Or make an easy chicken sandwich or Italian veggie sandwich to go with it for a wholesome meal.
- You can also prepare this soup to pair with veggie pasta salad or Italian lentil salad for a filling meal.
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an excellent antioxidant that gives a rich color to it. The darker the tomatoes, the more lycopene it has (1). Also, it is a low-calorie vegetable with fewer carbohydrates.
To give this soup a creamy texture, cashew nuts and low-fat milk are the key ingredients I used. Cashews nuts are a good source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Also, it is naturally rich in dietary minerals and a source of good protein (3).
Try these more healthy soups
- Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower Soup
- Vegetable Pasta Soup
- Healthy Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo
- Browse all HEALTHY SOUPS
Healthy Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 medium onion cut into quarter
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts
- ½ cup low-fat milk (or almond milk if vegan)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (use more or less)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil spray)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Cut tomatoes into halves and onion into quarters and place them on a baking sheet facing cut side up.
- Then cut the garlic bulb ½" from the top to expose individual cloves. Add it to the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Then drizzle or spray some olive oil.
- Bake everything in the preheated oven for about 30-40 min or until the edges of onion, garlic and tomatoes start to caramelize.
- Add roasted tomatoes, onion and a few roasted garlic cloves to the blender jar. Then add some cashew nuts, milk, cayenne pepper, vegetable broth and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Transfer the soup to a medium pot and bring it to boil. Adjust seasonings and cook till it gets to the desired consistency or serve immediately with some bread croutons.