This Summer Corn Chowder soup is a healthy & delicious way to enjoy fresh sweet corns. Filling, creamy & a great comfort soup that you can enjoy any time of the year.
These days ‘fresh from the farm’ section in the grocery stores of our town is flooded with fresh corn on the cob. I really like shopping from this section because they keep fresh seasonal produce from nearby farms to sell.
When it comes to fresh corn on the cob, the only thing comes to my mind is to either boil or grill them. This time I wanted to try something different from just eating the kernels. The dish which came to my mind was corn chowder–a perfect soup to enjoy seasonal fresh corns. Isn’t it?
One thing that concerns me the most about restaurant-style corn chowder is the overuse of butter, cheese, and cream. However, my version of this soup does not include any of these ingredients. You can make the soup equally delicious without these harmful ingredients–a creamy yet healthy version of corn chowder! Let me show you how…
Summer Corn Chowder Recipe!
For this recipe, you will need fresh corns on the cob, butter potatoes, onion, garlic, and herbs like thyme and cilantro. Further, to boost its nutritional value you can add fresh carrot and celery. Cook all the veggies, corn and potato in vegetable stock until tender. Then add half the soup mixture in a blender and blend to a smooth consistency. Add back this cream-like blended soup to the pan.
To make this soup more creamy I used some cashew cream instead of dairy cream. It tastes great even without adding any cream.
How to remove corn kernels from the cob?
- I simply use a knife to cut corn off the cob. It will take some practice to remove kernels without much of waste.
- If you are not confident or are concerned about the safety of using the knife on the hard cob you can use corn stripping tool. A variety of tools are available on Amazon for removing corn kernels.
I’d appreciate your feedback if you are happen to use any tools for this job. I am also considering buying one for my kitchen.
Creamy & Healthy Fresh Summer Corn Chowder
This summer corn chowder is prepared using fresh corn, carrot, celery, and potato. Healthy, dairy free corn soup to enjoy any time of the year.
- 3 corn ears kernels removed
- 3 small butter potatoes
- 2 medium carrots finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp cashew cream (or 1/4 cup dairy cream)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp dried)
- 4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- Heat oil in a dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 sec or until fragrant. Add onion and cook for 3-4 min or until translucent
- Then add corn, carrot, celery, and potato. Saute them for 4-5 min. Add vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add fresh thyme and simmer the soup on low heat for 10-15 min or until potatoes and veggies are tender
- Take out half of the soup mixture in a blender jar and blend until it gets to a smooth consistency
- Pour back the blended soup in the pot and mix well.
Add cashew cream, salt, and pepper; mix well. Cook for another 5 min.
- Serve warm as a side or with toasted bread slices or alongside a cheese sandwich for a light meal
This page may include affiliate links which help us to deliver free recipes and maintain this blog.