This Summer Corn Chowder soup is a healthy & delicious way to enjoy fresh sweet corn. Filling, creamy & a great comfort soup that you can enjoy any time of the year.
These days ‘fresh from the farm’ section in the grocery stores of our town is flooded with fresh corn on the cob. I like shopping from this section because they keep fresh seasonal produce from nearby farms to sell.
When it comes to fresh corn on the cob, the only thing that comes to my mind is to boil or grill them. This time I wanted to try something different from just eating the kernels. The dish which came to my mind was corn chowder–a perfect soup to enjoy seasonal fresh corns. Isn’t it?
One thing that concerns me the most about restaurant-style corn chowder is the overuse of butter, cheese, and cream. However, my soup version does not include any of these ingredients. You can make the soup equally delicious without these loaded ingredients–a creamy yet healthy version of corn chowder! Let me show you how…
Summer Corn Chowder Recipe!
For this recipe, you will need fresh corns on the cob, potatoes, onion, garlic, and herbs like thyme and cilantro. Further, you can add fresh carrots and celery to boost its nutritional value. Cook all the veggies, corn, and potato in vegetable stock until tender. Then add half the soup mixture to a blender and blend to a smooth consistency. Add back this cream-like blended soup to the pan.
Also, I used some cashew cream instead of dairy cream to make this soup more creamy. It tastes great even without adding any cream.
How to remove corn kernels from the cob?
- I simply use a knife to cut corn off the cob. It will take some practice to remove kernels without much waste.
- If you are not confident or are concerned about the safety of using the knife on the hard cob, you can use a corn stripping tool. A variety of tools are available on Amazon for removing corn kernels.
I’d appreciate your feedback if you happen to use any tools for this job. I am also considering buying one for my kitchen.
Try These More Summer Recipes
- Air Fryer Corn On The Cob
- Air Fryer Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Healthy Zucchini Flatbread
- Garlic Zucchini Rice
Creamy & Healthy Fresh Summer Corn Chowder
- 3 corn ears kernels removed
- 3 small butter potatoes
- 2 medium carrots finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoon cashew cream (or ¼ cup dairy cream)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- Heat oil in a dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 sec or until fragrant. Add onion and cook for 3-4 min or until translucent
- Then add corn, carrot, celery, and potato. Saute them for 4-5 min. Add vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add fresh thyme and simmer the soup on low heat for 10-15 min or until potatoes and veggies are tender
- Take out half of the soup mixture in a blender jar and blend until it gets to a smooth consistency
- Pour back the blended soup in the pot and mix well.
- Add cashew cream, salt, and pepper; mix well. Cook for another 5 min.
- Serve warm as a side or with toasted bread slices or alongside a cheese sandwich for a light meal
- You can add half and half or heavy cream instead of cashew cream to make it a conventional creamy corn chowder.
I love chowder! Any of those thicker soups… yes!!! Going to try this one this week, thanks!
I appreciate that you gave healthy alternatives. I often think that I wouldn’t like certain recipes, but I have to try this. I love corn and I want to continue exploring healthy meals.
Tasheena @ SimplyTasheena.com says
This recipe looks so yummy! have some corn on hand that would be perfect for this recipe.
OMG i love corn. I’m totally gonna do this during the winter time as I think itll be perfect! I just hope I dont mess it up and make it look as good as yours!!
Whitney Mullennex says
This looks delicious! A wonderful way to use up the oodles of corn I’m about to have from the garden. Thanks for sharing!