This finger-licking healthy Asian Chili Garlic Tofu is a perfect meatless dish that you can prepare for lunch or dinner. Serve it with warm plain rice for a complete meal. You will become a tofu fan once you try it.
I love making tofu Asian style. Personally, I have found that tofu simply goes well with all Asian spices and flavors.
What is your favorite way of cooking tofu?
Today I am going to share with you our favorite chili garlic tofu in finger-licking Asian-inspired sauce.
Let’s get started.
How to make Asian chili garlic tofu stir-fry?
This recipe involves two steps: to prepare the tofu and then the sauce to go with it.
1. Preparing tofu:
First, evenly coat bite-sized pieces of tofu with a mixture of flour and cornstarch. Then in a medium skillet cook the coated tofu in some oil to form a crust over them. Take out the tofu and in the same pan prepare the chili garlic sauce.
2. Making chili garlic sauce:
For the sauce, in sesame oil saute some fresh garlic, chili flakes, and tomato ketchup, and then some sliced shallots. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and little honey to balance the hotness of the chili. Add water and bring the mixture to a boil. In order to thicken the sauce a bit add some cornstarch. Once the sauce is done, add cooked tofu and mix to coat the tofu well. Garnish with green onions and serve warm.
You can serve this chili garlic tofu with white plain cooked rice for a complete meal.
- Use extra-firm tofu for better results.
- To remove excess water from the tofu, wrap the tofu block in a few layers of tissue paper and put some weight on it to squeeze the water out. Or simply use Tofu Press to get this work done without any mess. (However, I find extra firm tofu from Trader Joe’s perfect for these types of recipes. It does not require removing excess moisture from them.)
30 min Healthy Asian chili garlic tofu stir-fry
Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2-3 garlic finely chopped
- ½″ ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes more or less as per taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon ketchup
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2-3 teaspoon cornstarch mix with a tablespoon of water
- few springs of green onion
- Gently mix tofu with flour and cornstarch to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet. Add tofu and cook for a few minutes to form a crust on each side turning frequently. Take out the cooked tofu and set it aside.
- In the same skillet heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and chili flakes and cook for about one minute or until fragrant.
- Then add sliced shallots and fry until translucent for about 1-2 min.
- Now add ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring mixture to boil.
- Add cornstarch mixed with water to thicken the sauce and cook the sauce further for 3-4 min.
- Finally, add tofu and gently mix to combine.
- Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds (optional) and serve warm.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on our Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.