Vietnamese healthy spring rolls with creamy peanut butter sauce are a perfect treat to yourself at home. Filled with fresh veggies, noodles, fresh herbs like mint and lightly sautéed shrimp that create a flavorful healthy combo for lunch or dinner. It is an easy 30 min recipe and these spring rolls are so delicious that you would want to prepare them again and again.
We both love asian flavors and no wonder I keep trying new asian recipes at home. I am really glad that I started this blog. It gives me an opportunity to explore different cuisines and try new recipes at home trying to prepare a healthy version for guilt free eating.
I have always wanted to make Vietnamese spring rolls at home. And, when it is time to make them at home, they have to be healthy (:P). I really loved the concept of spring rolls when I came across this delicacy. Because it can be stuffed with all good stuff and yet tasty and flavorful. Usually, for the filling, rice noodles are used. However, I used buckwheat noodles to make these rolls more healthy. Making spring rolls is very easy. You just have to prepare the raw veggies, cook noodles, sauté the shrimps and assemble them into rice paper rolls. And, it hardly takes 30 mins to prepare them.
How are these healthy spring rolls?
These spring rolls are filled with healthy ingredients
- Shrimps are rich in proteins, iodine, and calcium. It is also high in Omega-3s Fatty Acids. Shrimps are a source of good protein as opposed to red meat (1).
- Buckwheat noodles are gluten free and add whole grains into the diet.
- These spring rolls are filled with raw vegetables like carrot, cucumber, lettuce etc. and these are high in vitamin A and other micronutrients.
Vietnamese healthy spring rolls with peanut butter sauce
- SPRING ROLLS
- 10-12 large shrimps deveined
- 1 cucumber julienned (3-4" long)
- 2-3 small carrots julienned (3-4" long)
- 3 oz buckwheat noodles
- leaves from 1 small head iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup coriander (springs)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 10 rice paper wraps
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (plain)
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic paste
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Add shrimp, 1 tsp soy sauce and salt if necessary. Sauté the shrimps for about 2-3 min or until well done. Let it cool for about 5 min.
- Meanwhile cook noodles according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water to avoid further cooking.
- Combine all ingredients listed under 'DIPPING' into a small sauce pan. Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 3-5 min or until corn starch is cooked.
- Cut cooked shrimp into half lengthwise.
- Take very warm water in a large skillet or large plate. Dip rice paper wrap in the water for 10-15 sec and then spread it carefully on a slightly wet cutting board.
- Now put lettuce, some noodles, 2-3 carrot juliennes, 2-3 cucumber juliennes, some cilantro leaves, 3-4 mint leaves on one side of the wet wrap. Also layer 2-3 shrimp halves ahead of veggies leaving some gap in between. Gently fold the rice paper wrap from noodle and veggie side once. Then tuck in the side edges of the wrap and continue to fold over the shrimp and roll until seam is sealed. Repeat this step for each roll.
- Enjoy these fresh healthy spring rolls with prepared peanut butter dipping.
- Also, sprinkle some water over the cutting board or flat surface before putting wet rice paper wrap first the time.
- Do not dip rice paper in warm water for longer else it will be difficult to spread it on a flat surface.
- It may take some practice initially to roll these wraps.
This page includes affiliate links which help make this blog possible.
If you like Asian flavors then you will also love this