I love the toasted flavors from chickpeas as well as vegetables especially, zucchini and squash. Chickpeas toasted with some spices are so tempting and I never miss an opportunity of using them for example these toasted chickpea naan wraps. I usually have oven baked veggies several times for our side dishes. However, I never combined them with chickpeas for a single dish like this quinoa bowl before. And, quinoa is accepted as a super grain or superfood world-wide. If you want to include quinoa into your diet, try this super bowl–you will love it. It is really….
- simple and easy to prepare
- a super bowl
How this Quinoa Bowl is healthy
This quinoa bowl is healthy as it is prepared using all healthy ingredients
- quinoa is packed with protein, fiber and various essential vitamins and minerals. It is gluten free too.
- fresh veggies like zucchini and squash that are rich in vitamins and mineral with some dietary fibers
- chickpeas are a source of healthy and plant based protein. It means protein with no cholesterol.
- avocado is rich in healthy fat
Roasted Veggie & Quinoa Bowl With Avocado Sauce
- 2 medium zucchini sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash sliced
- 1 can chickpea drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups organic low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegan)
- 2 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves small garlic minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paparika
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder or garam masala
- 1 large tomato
- pulp from half avocado
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking tray with Aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray some oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sliced zucchini and squash. Add thyme, garlic, 1 tsp oil, salt and pepper according to taste. Mix well and spread the slices on the baking tray. Also, place one large tomato in the tray
- Then, in the same bowl add chickpeas, paprika, cumin powder, curry powder, remaining oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and spread the mixture on the baking tray*. Transfer the tray into the baking oven. Bake it for 35-40 min. in total. After 20 min. or so, flip the vegetables and stir the chickpeas. Once done turn off the heat and let it cool for few mins.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan add quinoa, chicken stock or vegetable stock and bring it to boil. Add salt according to taste and simmer the quinoa on low heat for about 18-20 min.
- Peel off the skin from roasted tomato, chop it finely and add it to a mixing bowl. Add avocado, onion, salt and pepper. Mash the mixture to combine well.
- In a serving bowl assemble quinoa, roasted vegetables and roasted chickpeas. Serve with roasted tomato-avocado sauce to enjoy this healthy quinoa bowl.
- *If you do not have large tray use separate trays for veggies and chickpeas
Some healthy recipe options that you may like: