This healthy and easy turkey chili has everything in it to enjoy. It is so comforting and filling. This chili is prepared using ground turkey, red kidney beans and brown rice. A warm bowl of this chili is perfect for cold nights.
I always try to find ways to include whole grains into our diet. And while experimenting with this recipe, I added brown rice to chili and I can say for sure that it did not let me down with my experiment. Thats how this Easy Turkey Chili with Brown Rice is born. By the way you, could also prepare this using Bulgur Wheat and it turns out delicious too.
How easy it is! Because again it is a one pot meal. I am sure you will agree with me, that one pot meals are so convenient and less messy to prepare. Perfect for weeknight dinners. Isn’t it? The only downside of this dish is its cooking time. Brown rice usually takes quite a bit of time to cook. Otherwise, this dish would be ready in under 30 mins. if you use Bulgur Wheat.
Did you know?
- Chili is the Spanish dish. In Spanish it is called ‘Chili con carne’ and its english meaning is chili with meat. In US, it is popular with the name chili
- Its history tracks back to mid 19th century
How this easy turkey chili is healthy?
This easy turkey chili is healthy because;
- it contains lean meat (ground turkey). Lean meat is healthy as opposed red meat
- it contains brown rice. Brown rice is a healthy whole grain that is high in dietary fiber
- it contains red kidney beans that comprise of healthy proteins.
- It does not contain added saturated fat
Easy Turkey Chili With Brown Rice
This easy turkey chili with brown rice is simple to prepare, healthy & a one pot meal. It is prepared using all healthy ingredients.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3-4 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock (preferably organic)
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or cooking oil of your choice
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add in garlic and toast it for about 30-40 sec or until fragrant.
- Add in onion and saute until trasnsluscent
- Next add ground turkey and using a spatula separate the meat. Cook it until the pink color disappears
- Add chili powder, cumin powder and mix well.
- Add in tomatoes and cook for about 3-4 min or until tender
- Now add rice, beans chicken stock, water and bring the mixture to a boil
- Cook for about 35-45 min. or until rice is tender. Serve warm to enjoy this easy turkey chili.
- You can also use ground beef or ground chicken instead of turkey
Some more one pot recipe options that you may like:
If you like this recipe in any way, spread the love by sharing with your friends and family.
Your valuable feedbacks and comments will make our day and encourage us to share more great healthy recipes with you. Thank you for stopping by!