This easy vegetable biryani is a meatless Indian delicacy perfect for vegetarian or vegan folks out there. It is loaded with a variety of fresh vegetables and is equally flavorful and tasty compared to any meat biryani.
The goal of Watch What U Eat is to create and share simple, easy yet healthy recipes with you. A few months ago I had published the recipe for one pot chicken biryani. It was a very simple version of the traditional meat biryani.
Today, for vegetarian or vegan fans of Watch What U Eat, here I am sharing with you one pot easy vegetable biryani. Even meat eaters would love this version of biryani.
Easy Vegetable Biryani!
This veg biryani is prepared using commonly available fresh vegetables. Therefore, it is nutritious and healthy.
Biryani is our all-time favorite dish. Especially for Tushar–he is a crazy fan of it. He always looks for opportunities to make it. Whenever we plan on inviting our friends or guests his suggestions start with including biryani in the menu. While we enjoy this delicious meat version of it, our vegetarian friends have to manage with other meatless dishes.
So, I decided to try a vegetarian version of this one-pot easy chicken biryani. Moreover, this vegetable biryani has everything to enjoy…
- full of flavors
- one pot
How this veg biryani is healthy?
This vegetable biryani is healthy because
- it is prepared using different fresh vegetables like cauliflower, carrot, french beans, green peas. Therefore, it contains nutrients from all these fresh vegetables.
- it does not contain added clarified butter (aka ghee). Therefore, it is low in fat content.
More one one-pot options that you may like:
- One Pot Chicken Biryani
- Healthy Barley Soup
- Soba Noodle Soup
- One Pot Spinach Rice
- One Pot Mexican Chicken Rice
One Pot Vegetable Biryani
- 2 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 pieces medium carrots diced into 1" to 1 ½"
- 2 cup cauliflower florets (around 1" size)
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 large onions sliced
- ½ cup curd
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon biryani masala (or more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or any other cooking oil
- 4 cup water or vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Soak rice in water and set aside for 15-20 min.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot on medium to high heat. Add onions and saute them until caramelize (for about 8-10 min).
- Put black cumin, minced garlic, green chili and cook for about 1 min
- Add cauliflower, carrots and french beans and saute for 6-8 min
- Finally add yogurt, lemon juice, green peas and soaked rice: gently mix well.
- Season the mixture with salt and biryani masala.
- Add water or vegetable stock and bring mixture to boil.
- Then add freshly chopped mint and cilantro and simmer the biryani mixture on low heat for about 18-20 min.
- Serve warm to enjoy this flavorful veg biryani.
- If you are vegan, don't use yogurt. Instead, add 1 or 2 tablespoon extra lime juice to enhance the taste.
- Biryani tastes really well with spiced yogurt. Season yogurt with salt, pepper and roasted cumin powder to prepare as a side dish to go with biryani (also known as raita).
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on our Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.