Oats are a great source of vital nutrients, particularly fibres and thus it is ideal for morning breakfasts. However, I never liked oats prepared by cooking them in water (or milk). Basically, I am not a fan of its slimy appearance and taste. So I started to look for alternate recipes to incorporate oats in our meal. And finally I customized it to a savory version making healthy oatmeal pancakes that fit our likings perfectly.
Now, this recipe is our all time favorite. It is instant and very easy to prepare and ideal for busy morning breakfasts. You can prepare the batter a night before, refrigerate and use it in the next morning to prepare delicious healthy oatmeal pancakes.
How this healthy oatmeal pancakes are healthy?
These oatmeal pancakes are healthy because
- it contains no butter and therefore it is low in saturated fat
- they are made from oatmeal which are high in fibre content compared to traditional pancakes (which are prepared using refined wheat flour)
- it contains non-fat greek yogurt
- it contains no sugar
Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups ground oats
- 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp cooking oil to grease the pan
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt and pepper-according to taste
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt (optional for garnish)
- 5-6 grape tomatoes (optional for garnish)
- Mix ground oats and flour in a bowl
- Add yogurt, water and remaining ingredients; mix well
- Add extra water if necessary
- Heat the pan and grease it lightly
- Spread a small amount of batter using spoon
- Cook the batter on medium heat until the water start to evaporate from the surface and then flip over
- Cook until both side are light brown and serve warm
- You can make these oatmeal pancakes as thin as you like. Also, you can add finely chopped vegetables (such as spinach) of your choice into the batter.
- These pancakes goes very well with any kind of hummus or tomato ketchup or Indian pickles (our favorite).