These super easy healthy zucchini pancakes are prepared using only 5 ingredients. Grated fresh zucchini along with whole wheat flour makes these pancakes wholesome
These days I am in the mood to try different recipes using fresh zucchini.
The reason is the season. I feel it’s a good idea to eat seasonal fruits and veggies when they come to the market directly from the farms. Isn’t it?
How many ways can you incorporate zucchini in your diet?
Here, I am sharing with you zucchini pancakes that you can make for a healthy breakfast or brunch or even for a light meal.
What you will need!
- Fresh zucchini – grate it using a box grater using its largest size
- Flour – I prefer to use whole wheat flour for healthy pancakes
- Egg – one large egg is enough
- Salt – use it according to your liking
- Oil – your choice of cooking oil will work
How do I grate my Zucchini?
There are a few ways by which you can grate the zucchini using available tools or equipment. Thoroughly wash and dry the zucchini and then trim off its ends. And try one of these options to grate it for making delicious healthy pancakes.
For preparing just one or two zucchinis, a box grater would be a perfect option. Despite getting grated zucchini in no time options 2 and 3 involve a bit of a cleanup.
How to make healthy pancakes
Making these healthy pancakes involves two steps.
Preparing the batter – Mix salt with grated zucchini according to your taste. Let it rest for at least 10 min. The salt will help shredded zucchini to release the water. This step is important in making a batter with perfect consistency. Otherwise, the batter will be runny if we don’t account for the moisture from the zucchini. Then add in egg, flour, water, and mix everything well. The batter is now ready to make pancakes.
Cooking pancakes – Heat a flat cast-iron griddle/pan on medium heat. Lightly oil the griddle and pour in some zucchini batter. Using the back of the spoon carefully spread the batter into a round shape. Cook it on both sides until well done.
How can I make it Gluten Free
For gluten-free options use brown rice flour or white rice flour in place of whole wheat flour in the recipe. Or, consider using chickpea flour instead.
I feel using rice flour gives a slightly different texture to the pancakes than using regular flour. You can make them crispier in texture by cooking for a bit longer on medium heat.
Serving options and instructions
You might be wondering what can I serve with zucchini pancakes. Here are some option to serve your pancakes with
- Avocado yogurt sauce or dipping
- Creamy yogurt seasoned with salt and pepper or sour cream
- Tomato ketchup
- Any Indian chutney or pickle.
- Buy medium-sized fresh and firm zucchini. Thoroughly clean it before using it. Sometimes it has hard dirt settled on the outside.
- I use ¼th size measuring cup with a flat bottom to pour the batter and spread it using the flat bottom of the cup. This way I get all the pancakes of the same size.
- Adding an egg into the pancake batter helps to bind it. Moreover, pancakes come out easily without sticking to the pan.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments if you REALLY like this recipe. Thank You!
5-Ingredients Healthy Zucchini Pancakes
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- ½ avocado peeled
- 2 tablespoon greek yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- salt to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the grated zucchini with some salt. Mix well and let it rest for at least 10 min*.
- Green sauce: meanwhile in a blender jar combine avocado, yogurt, water, and some salt. Blend everything until smooth and creamy.
- Add one large egg, flour and water to the grated zucchini and prepare the batter
- Heat a cast-iron griddle/pan or a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Spread some oil on the pan and pour around ¼th cup batter at the center. Gently spread the batter using the back of a spoon to form roughly 6” round pancakes.
- Let the pancake cook for about 2 min and then flip it. Continue cooking on the other side for another 2 min or until well done.
- Repeat until all the batter is over.
- Serve warm.
- Allow the grated zucchini with salt to rest for at least 10 min. It will help release the moisture from the zucchini. This step is crucial while making the batter. Otherwise, you will end up adding more water into the batter and will make your batter runny.
- For a crispier crust cook the pancakes on low to medium heat for a little longer than specified in the instructions.
- You can skip making green sauce and serve these pancakes with tomato ketchup or your choice of sauce.