Instant Pot Spinach Brown Rice – make flavorful tender brown rice with spinach in an electric pressure cooker. A quick and easy wholesome meal you can make in less than one hour.
Are you looking to include more greens and fibers into your diet?
Then you are in the right place. Here you will learn how to cook spinach with brown rice in an Instant Pot (IP).
DO NOT have Instant Pot?
No worries! Try our most popular Spinach Rice recipe on the regular stove instead.
I think I am secretly in love with spinach. I use it in my dishes all the time. Whether it is greens-salad, a pasta dish or green smoothie or Indian palak paneer, or Christmas pinwheels tree you can use spinach without any doubt. It is a perfect and versatile green that you can use in any cuisine.
- Brown rice – long-grain brown rice gives good result
- Spinach – buy organic baby spinach leaves for less cleanup and quick preparation
- Green peas – use fresh or frozen green peas
- Garlic – chop it finely
- Onion – dice it into small pieces
- Tomato – dice into small pieces
- Spices and seasonings – to flavor the dish add good quality aromatic curry powder, cumin powder, salt, and pepper
- Liquid – use vegetable stock or chicken stock. You can also use a combination of stock and water
- Oil – use cooking oil of your choice. In my kitchen, I always use olive oil or avocado oil for cooking.
How To Make Instant Pot Spinach Brown Rice?
Heat some oil in an Instant Pot on high saute mode. Cook onion, fresh chopped garlic until translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and let them soften. Now add brown rice, spinach leaves, green peas, and spices. Mix everything well. Then add vegetable stock or chicken stock and generously season with salt and pepper.
Cover the Instant Pot and cook the mixture on manual high pressure for 22 mins. Let the pressure release naturally. A delicious wholesome meal is ready to enjoy.
- Serve a warm bowl of this green rice with some sliced cucumbers and carrots on the side. You can also add a dollop of yogurt on the side.
- To make it protein-rich and a more filling dish, serve sliced roasted cilantro-lime chicken with this spinach rice.
- Brown rice – I prefer using long grain basmati brown rice.
- If you want your cooked rice texture to be al dente then manually release the pressure as soon as the cooking timer is over. Do not let the steam release naturally as it takes a longer time and can overcook the rice for your liking.
- How to get fluffy rice – once done with cooking the rice, separate the grains using a fork to get fluffy rice.
- Instead of green peas, you can also add your choice of cooked beans.
Spinach rice with Indian flavors – replace curry powder with aromatic garam masala to give this rice dish a twist of Indian flavors.
Spinach rice with added proteins – Once cooking is complete add cooked or roasted cilantro lime chicken to make this into a chicken dish. Also, consider adding your favorite cooked beans if you want a meatless dish.
If you have enough leftover rice then evenly spread them to cover the bottom of the stainless steel pot of your IP. Simply turn it on to “warm” mode, sprinkle some water and let the rice warm-up for at least 30 min.
Or, heat the rice in a microwave-safe bowl for 2-3 min depending on the amount of leftover rice. Make sure to cover the bowl so that the rice will not dry out. Additionally, sprinkle some water over the rice before heating to keep it moist.
Instant Pot Spinach Brown Rice
- Heat cooking oil in an Instant Pot on high saute settings
- Add onion, garlic and cook for about 2-3 min
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften for about 3-5 min
- Add brown rice, spinach, green peas, cumin powder, and curry powder; mix well
- Add liquid and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and cook the mixture on manual high-pressure mode for 22 min.
- Let the pressure release naturally. It may take around 15-20 min. Garnish with freshly chopped spinach leaves and cilantro. Serve warm.
- You can use half vegetable stock (or chicken stock) and half water in this recipe.
- For al dente rice texture, release the IP pressure manually as soon as the cooking timer is over.
- Before closing the lid, taste the liquid and adjust seasonings according to your liking. At this point, a slightly strong taste will result in perfect final flavors as the rice will absorb the seasonings while cooking.
- Try this recipe for Spinach Rice if you want to use white rice.