This cilantro lime brown rice is a perfect side dish to enjoy with Mexican dishes. It is low in fat and rich in fibers. Also, it is a vegan and gluten free recipe.
After taking a long break from blogging, I am back with this healthy and nutritious version of cilantro lime rice recipe. You must have noticed my irregular postings on the blog–it was due to my three-month trip to India. I couldn’t get a chance to fully work on developing new recipes. However, I still managed to get my hands dirty on a few recipes which I will share with you days to come.
I wanted to try this recipe for a long time and finally, I could get to it. As you would notice, all ingredients for this are listed in the name itself. Sauté all ingredients in little oil for a few mins., add water and cook until the rice is nice and tender. You can enjoy this rice as a side with Mexican dishes such as wraps, refried beans, fajitas etc. Once you try this cilantro lime brown rice recipe, I am sure you will start loving brown rice.
How is this cilantro lime brown rice Healthy?
This cilantro lime rice is healthy because…
- it is prepared using brown rice. Eating brown rice helps to lower bad cholesterol levels. Also, brown rice is rich in fibers, Selenium and Manganese. It also helps to lose weight. (1, 2)
- It also contains fresh lime juice. Limes are rich in Vitamin C. They are also known to improve digestion and skin tone.
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
Healthy alternative to chipotle cilantro lime rice that tastes equally good. It is also vegan and gluten free
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/3 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or any other cooking oil)
- 2 1/2 cup water (or chicken or vegetable stock)
- salt and pepper
Heat oil in a pot on medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant for about 30 sec.
Add cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and brown rice and sauté for 3-4 min.
Then add water and bring the mixture to boil. Season with salt and pepper
Simmer rice on low heat for about 35-40 min or until rice is tender.
Garnish with some fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Serve warm to enjoy a bowl of cilantro lime brown rice.
- I like little tangy rice. Add more or less lime juice according to your preference.
- Check the rice every 5 min. towards the end of cooking. Add a little extra water if necessary to avoid burning and sticking at the bottom of the pan.
Disclaimer: This page includes affiliate links which help make this blog possible. Thank you for your support.
Some more one pot rice recipe options that you may like: