Coconut chickpea curry! A healthy, protein filled curry perfect for meatless lunch or dinner.
Try this recipe yourself to enjoy this creamy vegan curry.
If you are a vegetarian or vegan or, want to cut down on your meat consumption, then this coconut chickpea curry is a perfect option for you. We love meat dishes, however, we do keep a check on our meat consumption. Which is why, I try my hands on making vegetarian versions of meat dishes with some of my twists. When you visit the recipe index of WWUT, you’d find that I have shared more vegan or vegetarian recipes than meat ones.
I really love coconut-based curries. Much of my love for these coconut-based dishes comes from where I did my Bachelors degree. It is a town along the Western coastal region of India where the cuisine includes rice, seafood, and fresh coconuts. They use a lot of fresh coconuts in preparing a variety of curries. I always imagined as if adding coconut to their dishes is sort of compulsory. And when I was introduced to Thai cuisine, my love for coconut-based dishes has been on the rise ever since!
Making coconut chickpea curry
For this recipe, you need very simple and a few ingredients such as a can of chickpeas, coconut milk, fresh tomatoes, and onions. To spice it up, I infused this dish with curry powder, cumin powder, paprika, and garlic. See! not many ingredients and if you take a quick peek in your pantry, you may find them handy in your pantry right now. 30 mins or so and this delicious creamy curry is ready for your dinner table!
I do have a coconut chicken recipe sitting in my recipe diary waiting to come live on WWUE (I can see it staring at me every time I open my diary :P). Till then, make and enjoy this creamy vegan chickpea curry. Do let us know how did it come out for you–we’d love to hear your feedback.
How this Chickpea Curry is healthy
This vegan chickpea curry is prepared using clean and healthy ingredients.
- Chickpeas are cholesterol-free plant based protein. Moreover, it is rich in dietary fiber, folate and dietary minerals such as phosphorous and iron .
- Though coconut is rich in fat content, it is good for the body when consumed in limited quantities. It also contains dietary minerals in a significant amount such as iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed (or around 2 cup cooked chickpeas)
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 medium to large tomatoes finely diced
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- half tsp paprika or chili powder (or more)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cooking oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro for garnish
- one lime cut into wedges (optional for serving)
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic until fragrant for about 30 sec.
Then add onion and saute until translucent for about 2-3 min
Add diced tomatoes and cook until it gives a sauce like consistency (4-5 min approx.)
Now add paprika, curry powder, and cumin powder. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 min
Add vegetable stock, chickpeas, coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
Season with salt and pepper and, simmer covered for 10-12 min or until all raw taste from spices disappear.
Finally, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm with cooked rice or flatbread.
- You can adjust seasonings according to your taste.
You will Also like these recipes