Oven Roasted Whole Cauliflower with garlic and herb is the easiest and delicious way of preparing cauliflower for a meatless party or holiday dinner. Moreover, it is healthy without any added butter, cream or sugar, etc.
Have you ever thought of baking whole cauliflower in the oven?
Somehow, I always felt a bit hesitant in trying this dish out. I had this unusual crazy fear in me that it might taste bland as all the spices would stick on the outside only. But to my surprise, this was definitely not the case. This oven roasted cauliflower did turn out both tasty and flavorful.
If you have never tried baking whole cauliflower you should definitely try this recipe. This whole cauliflower roast looks so exotic on the dinner table. It will be a perfect meatless alternative to whole roast chicken or whole turkey roast in a Thanksgiving menu. Trust me, your vegan/vegetarian guests will love this so much!
How to make Oven Roasted Whole Cauliflower?
Preparing for this recipe is very easy and involves very less time. In a food processor combine fresh garlic cloves, fresh cilantro, paprika, some good quality tomato ketchup, salt, and pepper. Pulse the mixture to a coarse grind consistency. Generously rub this marinade on the entire surface of the cauliflower head. Place the marinated cauliflower on a bed of tomato pieces in a casserole dish and bake in a preheated oven until well done.
It really goes well with mashed potatoes on the side of pasta or even with this butternut squash risotto. This roasted whole cauliflower will be a perfect addition to meatless party dinner menu.
- Choose fresh and large cauliflower head for this recipe. Thoroughly rinse and remove dark spot if any.
- I use chemical or preservatives free organic tomato ketchup. It might be a bit pricey but I find it tastes much better than regular ketchup.
- Use a large and deep casserole dish for baking the cauliflower head.
Oven Roasted Whole Cauliflower – Health Benefits
Cauliflower is naturally rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, and B vitamins. Also, it is a low-calorie vegetable with low carbs and fat. Additionally, it contains several beneficial phytochemicals. WHFoods recommends eating cauliflower more frequently to get the fabulous benefits provided by the cruciferous vegetable family.
Oven Roasted Whole Cauliflower With Garlic And Herb
- 1 large cauliflower head
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 2-3 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 jalapeno optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium tomatoes cut each into the quarter
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Cut leaves and trim the stem flush from the bottom of the cauliflower head. It will help the cauliflower to sit flat on the casserole pan
- Add fresh cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, tomato ketchup, paprika, lime juice, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Pulse the ingredients until they combine well to form a coarse mixture.
- Rub the cilantro-garlic mixture on the cauliflower generously.
- Place the cauliflower in the casserole dish. Drizzle some oil on top
- Add tomato pieces in the pan.
- Cover the casserole pan with Aluminium foil
- Now bake the cauliflower in the oven covered for 45 min. Uncover and bake further for 10-15 min.
- Let it cool. Then cut the cauliflower into thick wedges and serve with roasted tomatoes from the pan.
- You can check the doneness of cauliflower using a long wooden skewer. It should pass through easily
This page may include affiliate links which help us to deliver free recipes and maintain this blog.
I always come back to this recipe. I just love it so much. If I want it with some spice, I replace some or all of the ketchup with harissa paste! Ugh, it’s so good and flavorful.
Sarah Stonehouse says
Just made this! BEYOND HAPPY! Added red pesto in the rub and red onions into the tray… Yum!
Can this cauliflower be prepared ahead and keep in the refri?
Got a non-cilantro fan in the house, any herb substitutions or can we do without?
Watch What U Eat says
You can skip it or use a little bit of parsley instead.
Thanks for sharing this nutritious recipe. I will try to do it soon
komal's recipes says
Very nice presentation, will definitely try this.
Diane Wilkins says
Just popped it in the oven, smells so go.
Bariatric Eating says
The good thing about this recipe is that you will not only enjoy the delicious food but you can also ensure that you are eating nutritious and healthy food. Gonna try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing this nutritious recipe.