Roasted red pepper hummus – amazingly delicious, creamy, and healthy hummus, perfect for snacks or as a side to any Mediterranean dish.
Roasted red pepper is my favorite ingredient, as it truly elevates the flavor and taste of any dish. I constantly explore ways to incorporate it into recipes, and one of our favorites is using it in our homemade black bean burgers. This time, I decided to include it in a hummus recipe to further enhance the flavors.
We used to buy hummus before, but we stopped once we started scrutinizing labels to understand what we were consuming. I discovered that freshly prepared homemade hummus is significantly better and more flavorful than store-bought versions. Additionally, by making it ourselves, we can avoid all the added chemicals and preservatives. The best part is that it’s incredibly easy to prepare in no time. Who wouldn’t adore fresh and delicious homemade creations?
Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of plain chickpea hummus. That’s why I love adding extra ingredients like mint, avocado, or roasted red peppers to make it more flavorful. Today, I’m sharing a recipe for a healthy hummus that incorporates roasted red peppers, and it pairs perfectly with pita bread, pita chips, or whole wheat naan bread. Give it a try—I’m confident you’ll love it too!
How to make roasted red pepper hummus?
To make this flavorful hummus, gather canned chickpeas, sesame seeds, garlic, red pepper, cumin powder, lemon juice, and smoked paprika. I personally roasted the red peppers and a few cloves of garlic in the oven at home, but if you prefer, you can also use store-bought ones (just be sure to check the labels!). Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until a creamy texture is achieved.
How is this hummus healthy?
This hummus is prepared using all healthy and clean ingredients.
- Chickpeas are nutrient-dense foods that are rich in protein, folate, dietary fiber, and dietary minerals such as phosphorous and iron.
- Red bell peppers are naturally rich sources of vitamin C and antioxidants.
Store leftover hummus in an air-tight glass container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
More Mediterranean flavors to try
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut red peppers into 4 quarters and place them on a baking sheet. Also, put some garlic cloves.
- Bake the pepper and garlic for about 30-35 mins. Let it cool and peel the skin from red pepper.
- Add all the ingredients listed above in a blender and blend until it gets smooth or to desired consistency.
- Then drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and serve with homemade pita bread or pita chips or as a side.