What can be a more comforting food than a warm bowl of soup during chilly winter nights. I guess the soup will get the most votes for winter foods. Don’t you think so? When this soup is healthy what else does our body need to fight the chilly temperatures outside.
Since I started writing this blog, I have become even more picky about what we eat. I started incorporating more whole grains instead of refined flour into our diet than before. That’s what the healthy food pyramid suggests to have for a balanced diet.
This barley soup is filling, contains very simple ingredients that are common and readily available. Initially, I made it spontaneously with ingredients that I had in my pantry at that time. We liked it so much that we decided to share this simple version of soup with you all. One bowl of barley soup and dinner is done.
How this barley soup is healthy?
This barley soup is healthy because
- it contains whole grains and is high in fiber contents
- it contains fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, tomatoes
- it is very low in saturated fat
- ¾ cup whole barley
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tomato finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (if vegan)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or cooking oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and saute until fragrant for about 30-40 sec
- Add onions and saute until lightly golden brown for about a min. or two
- Add all the remaining ingredients except spring onions and let it boil.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20-30 min. or until the barley is tender
- Garnish with spring onions and serve warm to enjoy a bowl of barley soup
Some more whole grain based recipe options that you may like:
If you like this recipe in any way, spread the love by sharing with your friends and family.
Your valuable feedbacks and comments will make our day and encourage us to share more great healthy recipes with you. Thank you for stopping by!