Make these roasted green beans and potatoes in one pan on the stovetop. You can prepare a quick, easy, healthy side dish in just 20 minutes. Serve this for family dinners or large holiday gatherings.
I often make these sautéed green beans with garlic as a side to include more veggies into our diet. This quick garlicky beans recipe inspired me to make it more filling by adding potatoes and pan-roasting them together for more flavorful results.
What is special about This Dish
- quick and easy to prepare
- roasted them in a pan
- healthy side for any meal
- filling and satisfying
- perfect for large gatherings, such as Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas, or any other holiday party.
- Green beans – always buy fresh and firm green beans
- Potatoes – if you use bigger potatoes like russet, peel and thoroughly wash them under running water before cutting them. Small-size potatoes are okay to use without peeling.
- Oil – I use cooking oil to pan-fry potatoes and green beans for this recipe. And once the cooking is done and the beans and potatoes have slightly cooled down, I drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil for more flavors.
- Seasonings – use generous amounts of salt and pepper to season the dish. Especially, chunky potato pieces need a good amount of seasoning to make them tasty. Sometimes, I also use an Italian herbs blend to add more flavors.
See the recipe card for a detailed list and quantities.
Best Potatoes To Use
Any type of potato that holds its shape after cooking will work in making this pan-roasted green beans and potato recipe. For example, russet, butter, and dutch potatoes are perfect.
Preparing Green Beans – Trim off both ends of the green beans and thoroughly wash them under running water. You can also keep them whole or cut them into 1-2 inches long. However, cooking time will vary slightly depending on the size.
Preparing Potatoes – If you use bigger size potatoes like russet or butter, peel them thoroughly to wash off all the dirt, and cut them into 1-2″ size pieces. If you use dutch potatoes or smaller ones, just clean them nicely. There is no need to peel smaller-sized potatoes.
Do not cut and store the potatoes for a long time before cooking. Else they will start turning black. If you want to prepare them, you can put them in water until you start cooking.
Chef’s Tip – No need to use a knife for the green beans. Simply trim the ends of the beans with your hands and snap them in half (if you want smaller pieces). Use a sharp knife to easily cut the potatoes.
How To Make Roasted Green Beans And Potatoes
Step 1 – Pan-roasting potatoes
Heat some oil in a cast iron skillet. Then add diced potatoes and roast them for a few mins to get a nice brown color and crust. This will partially cook the potatoes.
Step 2 – Cooking green beans
Then add green beans, chopped garlic, salt, and black pepper; sauté for a few seconds. Add two tablespoons of water and turn the heat to low. Cover, and cook the beans until nice and tender.
Step 3 – Giving a finishing touch
Let the pan cool down slightly, and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil. Optionally, you can add a little lemon/lime juice. Serve warm.
- These pan roasted green beans and potatoes go well with many dishes, such as grilled cilantro lime chicken thighs, low-fat eggplant parmesan, and healthy shrimp in tomato sauce.
- You can also include them in your Holiday menu along with whole roasted chicken, wild rice salad, whole cauliflower with gravy, and drinks like cranberry sangria, orange mimosa, etc.
- Use a cast-iron skillet. Even heat from the skillet helps to get the roasted taste in the potatoes and green beans.
- Buy organic green beans whenever possible. During summertime, I grow them in our backyard. Surprisingly, these are very easy to grow. Consider growing your own veggies if it is at all possible.
Tweak this recipe as per your liking.
- Seasonings – add your choice of seasoning blends to get the flavors of your liking. I sometimes add dried or fresh rosemary and little paprika for slight heat.
- Add sliced bell peppers to make this dish colorful and veggie-rich.
- Meat lovers – you can add pre-cooked chicken pieces once the potatoes and beans are fully cooked.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Before using them next time, sauté them in a skillet for 2-3 min or until the green beans and potatoes becomes hot to touch. Or before serving, microwave them in a safe container for about 1-2 mins.
Yes, you can use frozen green beans. Just thaw the frozen beans before using them in the dish.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments if you REALLY like this recipe. Thank You!
Roasted Green Beans And Potatoes
- 1 lb green beans trim both ends
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and diced into 1-2” pieces
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon water or use chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Add diced potatoes and roast them for 5 min to get a nice brown crust.
- Then add green beans and garlic, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add water, cover the skillet, and cook the mixture for about 10-12 min or until the beans and potatoes are tender.
- Before serving, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Serve warm.
- Potatoes take a little longer to cook. Therefore, roasting them for some time before adding the beans will help to cook them perfectly. Also, this way, potatoes develop a roasted crust and taste delicious.
- Also, stir the beans and potatoes every 3-4 min while cooking to avoid burning them. If needed, drizzle some water.
- Add a generous amount of seasonings, like salt and black pepper, to make the dish flavorful. You can also add some Italian seasoning blend or rosemary (fresh or dried) for more flavors.
- Any type of potatoes will work in this recipe. However, most of the time, I use russet and butter potatoes.