This no cream and cheese, yet creamy cauliflower soup is perfect to enjoy cold winter nights. Also, it is dairy free and gluten free.
Yes! you heard it right. This soup does not contain either cream or cheese. Then how did I give this soup that creamy texture we love so much? It’s one of my super-secret ingredients that I occasionally use to prepare healthy creamy curries. Don’t worry it won’t be a secret anymore. Because I have made this creamy cauliflower soup to share it with you all. I usually like stir-fried cauliflower with some Indian spices. Especially, the one prepared by my mom is my favorite. And, it tastes amazing with Indian flat bread aka roti. Maybe one fine day I will share her recipe with you all. These days I am more into making soups. Don’t blame me—the cold weather outside calls for it!
If you watch your diet then those restaurant-styled cream of cauliflower soup is among those dishes that needs to get out from your plate. It is prepared using large amounts of butter, cheese, and cream. Therefore, to give it a healthy twist, I prepared this vegan cauliflower soup free from butter and cheese. And, to make it creamy, I used cooked potato and cashew cream. I am sure you will love this healthy version. It is….
- one pot
How is this creamy cauliflower soup healthy?
This creamy cauliflower soup is healthy because
- it is prepared using fresh cauliflower. Cauliflower is rich in Vitamin C, K, and manganese. it is also high in fiber. Moreover, it has several phytochemical (1,2)
- it contains freshly prepared cashew cream. Cashews are packed with dietary vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These are also a good source of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats which are essential fats needed by the body for proper functioning
- there is no added cheese or cream or butter
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into 1" to 1 1/2" florets
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small potatoes (boiled or microwaved)
- 1/4 cup cashew cream
- 5 cup water or chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or other cooking oil)
- salt and pepper
- some finely chopped parsley (optional for garnish)
- some chili flakes (optional for garnish)
- bread toast (optional)
Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant for about 30 sec.
Add onion and cook until translucent for 2-3 min.
Then add cauliflower florets and sauté for about 10-15 min or until tender. Let it cool for sometime.
In a blender or food processor, puree the cauliflower and cooked potatoes with some water.
Add back pureed cauliflower to the pot. Add remaining water and bring mixture to boil.
Once boiled, add cashew cream and season with salt and pepper. Then simmer the mixture on low heat for about 5 min.
Garnish with fresh parsley and some chili flakes. Serve warm with whole wheat bread toast.
To make cashew cream at home, soak 1/3 cup of cashews in warm water for 1-2 hr. Then blend the soaked cashews with 2-3 tbsp milk into a fine creamy paste.
Disclaimer: This page includes affiliate links which help make this blog possible. Thank you for your sSome more soup recipes that you may like: